We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 2 days in Hollywood

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Only 2 days in Hollywood

Hi

We are a family of 4, myself, hubby and 2 boys 11 & 8. We will be coming from Anaheim to Hollywood Celebrity hotel (via public transport yet to be determined best option). We only have 2 days 9/26 & 9/27 although will be returning at the end of our trip to Santa Monica for another 2 days.

I need some help with how to do all that we want to in less than 2 days! And yes it's all stereotypical touristy!

We would like to do

Warner Bros tour

Universal Studios

Hollywood walk of fame & see the Hollywood sign

A hop on hop off tour would be great as a general overview I thought....

When we are back at the end of our 5 week holiday we were thinking of mainly hanging around the Santa Monica area but haven't looked at it any further at this stage... ever so slowly planning one section of the holiday at a time!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,512 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

It's pretty easy. If you stay in central Hollywood (near the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av), you can reach Warner bros via the Metro 222 bus which departs from the southeast corner of that intersection (in front of the McDonalds) and stops at the corner of Riverside Drive & Hollywood Way about 30 minutes later. Walk 2 blocks east on Riverside to the 3400 Riverside Drive office building, walk to the rear entrance, pass through the airport-style security, turn left into the gift shop, turn right once inside, walk to the rear counter and someone will help you start your tour.

Universal Studios -- Take the red line metro rail north from the northwest corner of that intersection, 1 stop (5 minutes) to Universal City, exit the station, cross to the diagonally-opposing corner and wait for the free tram 'up the hill' to the Park.

Hollywood walk of fame & see the Hollywood sign -- The corner of Hollywood & Highland is on the Walk of Fame and the Hollywood sign can be viewed from the rear patio of the Hollywood & Highland Center mall on the northwest corner of that intersection (above the metro rail station).

You could certainly use the Hop On, Hop Off (HoHo) tour buses, if you wanted. One advantage to these is that they take you to the entrance to Universal, rather than to the nearby metro rail station at the 'bottom of the hill' below the studios. However, since you'll be spend a large part of the day at Universal, it doesn't pay to buy a 1-day ticket to the HoHo for that purpose only. Instead, buy a 2-day ticket which isn't much more than a 1-day ticket.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 07:34
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

Will you have a car?

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

No HitchKennedy we don't pick up our car until we are leaving hollywood on our road trip.

Thanks for the detailed transport info HopskipJump. Do you think this is all doable in a day & a half ?

I was thinking a warner bros tour on the fri when we get to hollywood from Anaheim then walk of fame etc maybe the HoHo bus with universal on the sat.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,512 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

The walk of fame never closes so you can look at it in the early morning or evening. You shouldn't have any problem.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

Would you consider switching your Hollywood and Santa Monica dates? I ask because the end of September is typically one of our best times of year at the beach. The weather is warm, the kids are back to school, and those stretches of beach will becon! Five weeks later may find much, much cooler, autumn weather and the rainy season starts October 1, so that possibility will exist. Maybe Hollywood can wait until October? Then, Universal Studios may have the Halloween stuff going on - very fun!

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

THANK YOU PlumeriaD for my light bulb moment!

I have been worried about not enough time in Hollywood for all we wanted to do plus I have been looking at a couple of obstacle races I'd love to do when we would be in SM but the travel seemed too far and we had an extra night in our itinerary but I didn't know where to put it.... OF COURSE... switch SM and Hollywood and add the night there at the end all problems solved!

So from Anaheim we will now head to SM (not sure of best travel yet - Disney express, prime time or super shuttle to LAX then cab or zippy shuttle hotel to hotel direct) from here we will get a car and head north on our road trip. And as Hubby was wanting to head from Hollywood to the coast for our drive this will hopefully save some driving time as well.

Then on our return spend 20, 21, 22 Oct in San Diego with a car before driving to Hollywood (return our car) and spend 3 nights in and around Hollywood/ Downtown LA. We don't leave LAX until almost midnight so will have 3 full days. And allows us to take our time from SD to LA.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

I'm glad to help!

8. Re: Only 2 days in Hollywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:17