We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magic Mountain

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Magic Mountain

Hey Guys

Appreciate your time at looking.

For the locals, will Monday the 11th August 2014 be out of control busy at Magic Mountain?

(I am going to get the standard flash pass)

Also as in no rush on that morning, was looking at getting public transport from West Hollywood to get there before opening at 10.30. Any major problems in doing this?

Again Cheers!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Magic Mountain

Just to add

I think it school holidays or an event?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magic Mountain

There are no reasonable public transit options to get to Magic Mountain from West Hollywood. A taxi is going to cost you over $100 each way. Rent a car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,802 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magic Mountain

Getting to Magic Mountain on public transportation isn't bad, getting back is.

Renting a car is by far your best option.

Or spend the night.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
218 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magic Mountain

Schools around Magic Mountain will still be on summer break on that Monday but most of them will start later that week or the following week. There are several hotels near the entrance of Magic Mountain and you could walk or take a quick taxi ride. Or you'll need a car if you're coming up from West Hollywood.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magic Mountain

I live in West Hollywood. In general, it's a poor place to stay without a car -- especially, if you'll be staying on the Sunset Strip since there is only one bus that runs along that route (the #2) and its occasional cousin, the #302. The #2 is a 'local bus' which stops frequently and is always packed with passengers. For most destinations, you'll need to take 2 buses in succession, or a bus followed by metro rail train.

Getting to Magic Mountain from West Hollywood is an especially arduous task involving 3 buses in succession and taking over 90 minutes in the morning. If you plan to stay until closing time, there is no public transit option available for the return. The last bus leaves the Magic Mountain area at 6:47 so you'd need to finish up before that time. At that hour, the return route consists of 4 bus transfers in succession -- a total transfer of 2 hours, 18 minutes. So, you'll spend about 1/3 of your day doing transfers.

If you're determined to stay until closing (8 pm), you could take a 5-part transfer via Hollywood which would leave the MM area at 8:01 pm on the local #7 bus, connect with the #14 bus, then the #757 bus and finally, the red line train from North Hollywood into central Hollywood. Such a transfer would take 1 hour, 51 minutes at a cost of $5.05 after which you'd need to transfer from Hollywood to West Hollywood which would take 2 more short bus rides or 1 bus plus some walking or you could take a 10 minute taxi ride (about $10).

Hiring a car, meanwhile, would be a drive of about 45 minutes, each way and you could come and go as you pleased: https://goo.gl/maps/YXep0

Note: you will have to pay for the car hire, of course, and the petrol as well as parking at MM ($15?) plus overnight parking at your hotel ($20-$30).

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magic Mountain

If you take public transit, please let us know how the experience goes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Magic Mountain

Thank all for the feedback.

So from the responses I gather I should be more worried about

getting to MM than actually being at MM

Rent a car it is.

Cheers

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magic Mountain

Magic Mountain is extremely crowded in August - it is summer break for much of the country, for much of Europe, and for most of the Northern Hemisphere. It doesn't matter what's going on locally, it's the rest of the world who is on vacation and many are visiting LA and theme parks.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Magic Mountain

I just came across this option. Time frame seems constrained, but it does get you there and back.

starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-24M.asp

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Magic Mountain

I would just rent a car you can go when you want and leave when you want.