We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 3 night layover?

Toowoomba, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay for 3 night layover?

Hi,

Hubby and I are landing in LAX and want to know the best area to stay before we head to Dallas. We will probably check out Santa Monica Pier and the stars etc but not really sure where we should stay and what else we should see. We don't want to spend a heap of money but don't want to stay somewhere dodgey. Can anyone recommend what area that think would suit us eg Hollywood, downtown, Santa Monica etc.

Thanks so much for your help.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 3 night layover?

Are you renting a car? I'd recommend it with such limited time.

What is your nightly hotel budget in USD? Translate "don't want to spend a heap of money". Don't worry, we don't recommend dodgey.

Before selecting a hotel, you need to determine what you want to do in LA? There is no central location or compact tourist district. Your stated plans are very vague and it sounds like you don't know much about LA. Have you read the reviews for Hollywood? Disappointment is the common response. Do you realize it take about an hour to see the sights there? Take a look at the FAQ's and Things to See & Do links.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 3 night layover?

I'll respectfully disagree with the previous poster re: Hollywood. Disappointment does not seem to be the common response since, among other things, the very 'Things to do' section that the poster has referred to lists 10 attractions in Hollywood that appear in the 'top 50 things to do in Los Angeles'.

Here's a recent thread from an individual who was asking about 'where to stay' and was steered away from Hollywood. She ended up staying in Hollywood and enjoyed it very much.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k671878…

Bottom line: each neighborhood has its own distinctive feel. Take a look at our TOP QUESTIONS BOX and learn about our metro area. You can only see this content with a computer -- not a mobile device. If you don't have a computer, here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

Among many other things, there are sections in this content that describe what each neighborhood (including Hollywood) is like.

And, here's a list of the top 300 attractions in L.A.:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

Formulate an itinerary, tell us your nightly budget for a hotel, tell us if you'll have a car and we can make recs re the neighborhood in which to stay.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 08:22
3. Re: Where to stay for 3 night layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:17