We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please take a look at my September Itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Suggestions? Feedback? Traveling with my boyfriend. We are in early/mid 20's and like two take in the sights. Recommendations for restaurants with a view are very welcome!!

9/19

-Arrive from JFK around 1pm, pick up rental car

-Staying in Woodland Hills (get groceries, etc)

-Visit Santa Monica/Venice Beach

9/20

-morning: Mullholland Drive

-midday: LA ( Hollywood Walk of Fame, TCL Chinese Theatre, Rodeo Drive, etc.)

-visit friend for dinner

9/21

-visit Malibu Temple

-drive to Zuma Beach?

-before sunset: Griffith Park Observatory

9/22

Disneyland

9/23

-Disney California Adventure

9/24

-Leave LA for Las Vegas at 9:30am

-Musical Road?

Edited: 13 July 2014, 20:19
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,432 posts
6,009 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Sounds good - i like your planning and itinerary

Two questions:

1) Are you still planinng to stay in Woodland Hills for your Disneyland/California Adventure time? It would be easier to at least stay one night in Anaheim to avoid long commute back and forth.

2) Also - not easy to get to the musical road parts

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k646498…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Thanks for replying mini.

We already booked our vacation rental for the time period. I have looked into staying around Anaheim but we couldn't find anything we liked within our budget. We don't mind the drive anyway :)

Also thanks for the heads up about the musical road!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,758 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Woodland Hills is very very very far from everything you list, and involves terrible traffic at most all times of the day.

Arriving at LAX, getting your car, and then trying to get to Woodland Hills -- you will arrive at your rental place about 5PM. Then, trying to head an hour back to Santa Monica - will put you in SM about 7PM.

Just head over the hill and visit Malibu that night, maybe. Can you get out of this rental?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Agree with Elle. Woodland Hills is in a mass of suburbia. Hopefully you can change. Not where you want to be to visit LA and Disney.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

You know if you post in the Anaheim forum well be happy to help you find somewhere to stay for that part of your trip. I bet we can find you something within your budget, and what your looking for there.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Agree with the above, if at all possible.

However, if you stay with the current rental, your first day should look like this (assuming you are flying into LAX and not Burbank):

LAX is near the beach and not far from Santa Monica, so pick up the rental car, go directly to Santa Monica and do all the sightseeing you want in that general area, spending all day. This might include Getty Villa or Getty Center, a Malibu drive, or Venice Beach, or renting bikes and riding on the beach bike path between Venice Beach and Santa Monica. (Some, not all, of the previous list.) Spend ALL DAY AND EARLY EVENING in this general area of Santa Monica, West LA, southern Malibu. Have an early dinner. Then return to Woodland Hills, pick up groceries and sleep. To get to Woodland Hills, you could either take freeways, or, if you are on the PCH in Malibu late in the day, take Topanga Canyon Blvd. from the beach to the Valley.

I know you rented this place, but you still might consider getting a cheap hotel room near Disney on the night between your disney visits. Disney is expensive and the horrible morning drive will eat into your precious time.

Visit Griffith Park on your Hollywood day. Please familiarize yourself with a map of greater LA and make sure to cluster your activities for the day in one general area. Otherwise you will spend way too much time in our horrid freeway traffic, criss-crossing the region. On 9/20, where in LA is your friend, who you are meeting for dinner?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Thank you all for the help! I am taking everything into consideration

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Ok, so I have edited a bit:

9/19

-Arrive from JFK around 1pm, pick up rental car

-Staying in Woodland Hills (get groceries, etc)

-Mullholland Drive

9/20

midday: LA ( Hollywood Walk of Fame, TCL Chinese Theatre, Rodeo Drive, etc.)

sunset: Griffith Observatory

9/21

morning: visit Malibu Temple

mid-morning/midday: drive to Zuma Beach? (won't be staying long, 1-2hrs tops)

early afternoon: Santa Monica

evening: visit w/friend, dinner in Santa Monica

9/22

Disneyland

9/23

Disney California Adventure

9/24

-Leave LA for Las Vegas at 9:30am

Also, we have decided to not change our vacation rental. I have been watching the traffic times at various times in the evening and morning to each destination. We are from NYC and are very used to driving in hours of traffic so it won't be a bother. Also, we aren't on a tight schedule so I think we will be ok.

Thank you for the help everyone!

Any suggestions for restaurants with a view? I've done a google search but I have not found much. Price and type of food does not matter.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 13:15
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1,237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

We like Kate Mantillinis restaurant in Woodland Hills just next door to the Marriott Warner center.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please take a look at my September Itinerary

Keep in mind your dates for Disneyland are both weekdays, so hours are shortened in that month something like 10am till 8pm M-Thurs, and longer hour of 8am till 12pm Fri,Sat,Sun. Fireworks and Fantasmic shows would only be on weekend during that time, Fri,Sat,Sun. There would be a nightly World of Color show usually.

Keep in mind that watching traffic times on something such as Google Maps may not really be the same as what the traffic actually is in alot of areas.

Imo with multiple days at Disneyland its a good idea to stay in the area around Disneyland rather than trying to commute such a long distance. For example, Google Maps suggests it would be a 1 hour drive with traffic which is not accurate Imo, it could easly take twice that amount of time.

You could consider overlapping your stay and getting somewhere inexpensive to stay for the night across the street from Disneyland, but dont check out of your other accomodations.

If you decide you want to drive anyway, factor in about 30 min to actually get inside either Park at Disneyland once you park at the Parking lot. Parking is $17 per day.