We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qs for customs clearance and baggage

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Qs for customs clearance and baggage

hi,everyone.i have booked tickects on orbitz.from shanghai to LA first,and arrive at LA terminal B

at 6:25PM(LOCAL TIME),and after 1h35min,i will take another flight from LA to SFO at terminal 2.i would like to ask that is it a must for us to make customs clearance right after i collect all my baggage at LA?and is 1h35min possible for me to do all of this?

hope to get answers from you.thanks first for kind help.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

I doubt you will have time to make this connection.

1. Are both flights on the same ticket?

2. What airline?

You will have to collect your luggage in LAX and clear Customs & Immigration at LAX (US requires that at first point of entry). If you are on one ticket and have your bags tagged for SFO there will be a "transfer" baggage conveyor belt. Although with such a tight connection, even if you make the connection, it's likely your bags may not.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,218 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

Well one should first ask if the time is enough and then book tickets. It does not matter where you booked your ticket. What matters is if it is on one ticket all the way from Shanghai to San Francisco and the airlines.

3 hours is what we suggest. Nothing less for folks on ONE ticket from home to final destination. 1.35 -- there is a 90 percent chance that you won't make it.

if you are on one ticket you collect bags, go through customs and then drop it off before you leave the area. If you have separate tickets you ahve to collect luggage haul it to the terminal to SFO and recheck it and go through security again.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

thank u first for yr quick reply and help.

its from american airlines.and we have to change plane at LA,but i can not figure it out whether its on same ticket.

and no doubt that its my fault not to confirm these details first.and i just thought that we may make customs clearance at SFO.and due to the limited-time cut off,i just booked it.

maybe i need to give up the tickets for SFO and rent a car driving there.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

Did you book a round-trip back to Shanghai?

If you give up the tickets to SFO, your return flight will likely be canceled.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

thank u first for yr detailed info about that.

its really a booboo that i forget to ask for help first here.

and now i have nothing to do but change my plan.the tickets from LA to SFO cost not too much.80 dollars for one,and we may re-book another flight or just go for a car rental driving to SFO.

i will be more cautious next time.and thank you again for your remind.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

the tickets i bought is a multi flight,from shanghai to LA, LA to SFO.on the way back,FROM DCA TO ORD,ORD TO SHANGHAI.is it true that if one flight not boarding,others will be automatically be cancelled???

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,218 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

Yes you have to use all the legs. What airline are you flying from LAX to SFO It is American too ?

If so if you are late then AA will put you on the next flight. You should make sure your bags are checked through to SFO

At LAX, deplane, go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs, drop bags off at transfer desk in the secure area. come of out secure area. go to the AA domestic terminal (it may be the same terminal --please check, go through security and to gate). You should be ok with the same airline

But you can call orbitz and ask them what to do. But worst case you should be ok on AA from home to SFO on one airline

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

wow,so detailed info you provide to us,thank u ever so much.two tickets are all from AA.

and my husband was an athlete,i think he may have a try on bare foot,maybe he will get on the flight,but for me,its really a impossible mission.

i will soon confirm with aa airline whether its a definite rule to plan a next flight to SFO,if so we can calm down.

this is the first time of running out of asia,so many info i need to get previously,it really make me feel nervous.

but thanks to all nice guys here,the help you offer to me these days really make me feel warm.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,190 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

Yes. You can relax :-) If you miss your connection, AA will book you on the next flight to SFO. It happens all the time.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qs for customs clearance and baggage

ha,you are the third one who confirm me with it.and this morning i called to my ticket agent orbitz,they also told me what as u mentioned.

i just need to bless that it will be real true at that time .thank u ever so much.

and do u know is there any restrictions on weight and size of my baggage?do i need to pay extra fees to check-in baggage,both in US and international flight? thanks