We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time question

Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Driving time question

Anyone have an idea of how long it will take to get from Santa Barbara to LAX on a Monday leaving Santa Barbara at approx 6:00 am?

Thanks!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,431 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time question

Have a look at Google Maps. You will be joining Los Angeles rush hour traffic, so I recommend you get up early tomorrow, plug in your start and end point in Google Maps, and see how long it's taking at that time of day. An even better idea would be to leave at 9:00 pm the night before and stay in an inexpensive LAX area hotel. Then the rental car is returned, you have an easier commute to the airport in the morning, stress free.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time question

Normally, the trip takes two hours. On a Minday morning, take PCH past Oxnard. The 101 & the 405 through the Valley and West LA will be terrible. Once you hit SM, take Lincoln to LAX. Even then, the latter route is likely to be heavily congested. At minimum, I'd figure three hours due to traffic on the approach to SM and LAX.

This is my estimate. Hopefully, someone who lives in Malibu and/or SM can confirm. Have you considered staying Sunday night at an LAX hotel?

HTH

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time question

I agree that if you have a morning flight out of LAX I'd want to stay nearby the night before!!!

I would never take a chance on timing because one accident or normal heavy traffic can screw everything up and then you'd miss your flight completely!!!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time question

I think to better help you it may help to rephrase the question.

Something like..."my domestic / international flight is departing at XX:XX on a Monday. We / I will be departing Santa Barbara with a rental car / bus / shuttle / other. What time should we leave at?"

You can see there are a number of variables that play in here, traffic issues notwithstanding.

Dr. Z

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time question

Agree with Hitch. Avoid freeways in the LA area. After Oxnard, switch over to the PCH (Rice Avenue or Los Posos, I think). Take PCH to Santa Monica, and proceed as he said.

Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time question

Our international flight is departing at 12:45 pm on a Monday. We will be departing Santa Barbara with a rental car. What time should we leave at?

Thanks everyone and thanks Dr. Z for the rephrase suggestion

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time question

I posted in your other thread - leave no later than 6AM. Best to travel down the night before and have a leisurely morning at the beach near LAX - and not worry about traffic and car rental return lines!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time question

I often fly out of LAX to YYZ (Toronto) on a 1:00 p.m. flight on a Monday or Tuesday and I leave Santa Barbara at about 9:00 a.m., 8:30 if I want a little more leisurely drive and I usually get to the airport between 10:30-11:00.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time question

Even if you seemingly have plenty of time with your 12:45 departure, I'd want to board my international flight fresh and relaxed. Battling traffic for an extended early morning drive is going to leave you stressed and exhausted.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving time question

Seeing you should be at the LAX car rental site by 9:15 or so I would think that 6:00 AM is a fairly good time to leave.

Most likely it would take you about 3 hours along the PCH route and the 101/405 route.

For the PCH route, take Hwy 101 South towards Ventura. Exit at Oxnard Blvd / Hwy 1 and make a right. Continue straight through beautiful downtown Oxnard. Go a few miles and you will reach an intersection known as Five Points. There is a green sign there directing you to Hwy 1 as many people take the 'hard' left instead of the 'gentle' left. Take the 'gentle' left and stay on Hwy 1

Continue to follow the signs directing you towards Hwy 1 - South

If you made good time to this point you can enjoy the scenery as you roll through the Ventura-LA County line and then through the Malibu communities.

As you get close to the Santa Monica Pier you will make a soft left onto an uphill street called California Incline. Right on Ocean and then left on Santa Monica Blvd, then right on Lincoln. Take Lincoln towards your rental agency.

I know, it sounds complicated....it isn't. Take a look at a Map website and review it.

By the way, if you guys are really running on time, there is a great Mexican place on 5th St, right by Oxnard Blvd. It's called Tacos de Mexico and they have killer breakfast burritos.

Enjoy!

Dr. Z