We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to LA

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
First trip to LA

I am coming in to go to an event at the Staples Center and Club Nokia

based off price these are the two hotels i have in mind Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza and DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown

i would coming in on a sat and leaving wed sat and sun would be events and monday and tues i would like to do hollywood blvd tourist stuff and universal

should i book 2 separate hotels or just book the downtown one, is it easy to get to those other 2 destinations from downtown, i dont drive so cant rent a car

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,390 posts
5,629 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to LA

Omni Los Angeles is a very nice hotel walking distance to a lot of things:

omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/LosAngelesCaliforn…

Omni will furnish complementary shuttle 3 miles radius from hotel.

I have stayed in several downtown LA hotels - and this one I tend to book again and again if rates are fine.

For trips outside of downtown LA - there is metro or tours...

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

Edited: 24 July 2014, 21:05
guadalajara
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to LA

I would stay at omni for the staples center night then maybe do hilton at universal.

Down load the uber app for one way transfers to places in los angeles

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to LA

A few things...

1. The LA METRO Area is huge.

2. Hollywood is a famous neighborhood in LA but tgere is SO MUCH MORE. To LA THAN Hollywood

3. Downtown LA is not in the center of our city: it's near the esstern edge of it

4. Your hotel(s) should be near the attractions you plan to visit

A. Neither the Omni -- which is on Bunker hill, a somewhat isolated area of downtown which is adjacent to MOCA, the Music center and not much else (nothing in the way of shops or restaurants -- or the Doubletree -- which is in the 'Little Tokyo' district near the eastern edge of downttown with better shooping/ dining -- is very convenient for staples. By taxi, they're not far away but by public transit, they're a little inconvenient. Consider staying closer to Staples -- lots of choices in all price ranges.

B. For the rest of your visit, stay in a hotel that is close to the attractions you'll be visiting

Our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page and 'things to do' tab at the top of this page will help you create a memorable itinerary. You need a computer to see this content --not a mobile device (or we can provide shortcuts. Just ask)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,968 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to LA

I think I'd ask what your age is and what your budget is and what else do you plan to do/see.

I love the Omni, but I stay in Downtown, when I do, for business and for events at the Music Center. Is it the best for events at Nokia & Staples, probably unless they are running shuttles and then Bunker Hill is pretty quiet on weekends. The Doubletree as mentioned is the former New Otani and sits in Little Tokyo. There are some great places close by to eat and drink, but it isn't the most convenient for Nokia & Staples.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to LA

I think the omni offers you a good value while being close to transit to the places you want to visit (and much more). Hotels at LA Live are expensive and hollywood is... not where I would stay.

6. Re: First trip to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 12:46
Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to LA

The problem is cost i didnt see anything in my price range that is closer to nokia and staples im looking to spend with tax included no more then like 165-175 a night

this is going to be a quick trip sat and sun i have the events mon and tues just doing quick stuff such as walk of fame and then just do universal

i will be back to la at some point to do more but this is just a last min throw together

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to LA

I see others with lower rates but reviews are iffy, if im missing anything that might be good please point me in that direction for the price i said

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to LA

And if i cant get one by downtown, can someone give me an area to search on sites like this and hotels.com for a hotel that has a direct train to get to staples and nokia and maybe even universal and walk of fame depending where i am

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to LA

Im currently looking into the idea of 2 hotels sat and sun possibly stay at the hilton checkers and then i would need a hotel in my price range i posted for mon and tues that is near walk of fame and easily can get to universal any suggestions

Edited: 25 July 2014, 21:52