We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

Helsingborg
Level Contributor
810 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

We are 2 persons planning to start a road trip in Las Vegas the august 16th and ending it in Los Angeles couple of weeks later.

The the last week it seems like the flight tickets to vegas has sky rocket and if we book our flights to LAX and then buy domestic one way ticket to LAS it will save us close to 500 dollar.

Flying directly from London we have to go trough imigration at LAX and then get our bags and check in for the domestic flight i guess. How long should we expect that to take?

The flight from London is suppose to land 17.15, should we be able to make a 19.30 flight to vegas or do i need to book a later flight.

Or should we just get our rental car at LAX and drive to vegas?, but that seems like a lot of waste time driving all that way in the dark.

Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

i would book a later flight , if your flight lands at 17:15 then times you get off and get luggage etc 2hrs until the next flight isnt long enough , book a later one for sure

the experts here will point you in the right direction they are more knowledgable than me

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

Agree with the previous poster. Book a later flight or relax at a Lax hotel and book a flight next morning or drive. Last thing I would do is to drive to Las Vegas after the long flight from London same day.

Helsingborg
Level Contributor
810 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

As we want to be in Las Vegas as soon as possible i don't think staying at a LAX hotel is a option. The latest flight i can find is 20.55. I guess that have to be it if you don't pay upp the extra 500 dollar to fly directly into Vegas.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

Opinions vary regarding the drive between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, depending on whether you regard the desert as an uninhabited wasteland or a magnificent wilderness. If you've never seen the desert before, it's certainly an experience. I'm in the latter camp so in addition to the overriding concern that Tet mentioned about doing the drive immediately after a longhaul flight, in addition it would also be a great shame to do it in the dark and not see much of it.

From the LAX area you can - if you wish - avoid the worst of the Los Angeles freeways by heading north on I-405 and then going near to Santa Clarita and Palmdale before joining I-15 at Victorville. From Santa Clarita the roads are CA14, then the Pearblossom Highway, then CA138, and finally CA18.

But if you'd rather fly so as to give you more time for other parts of your trip, fair enough.

Helsingborg
Level Contributor
810 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

Would love to use the drive LA - Las Vegas to watch the scenery but we are on some kind of a tight schedule only being able to stay in US a little bit more than 2 weeks, so we decided to skip that and also not go to the Grand Canyon national park this time.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 10:42
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

Yes, book the 8.55 pm flight then. You'll be at LAS by 10pm and LAS is very close to the Strip. Try a window seat and see Las vegas lights from the plane.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,954 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

To be safe I'd say you need three hours to clear customs & immigration and check into your next flight.

I assume you are using Southwest Airlines to fly to LAS?

The 20:55 flight is fine, a bit more time than you need, but not too much.

Helsingborg
Level Contributor
810 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

When searching Soutwest it didn't seem like they are flying later than 17.50 at saturday 16 of august.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

Staying the night at a LAX hotel IS an option, it just isn't an option you prefer. US Airways has the flight at 8:55 p.m. United has a flight at 10:40 p.m. You'll have to check in with whatever airline you take to LAS, possibly involving taking all of your checked bags on a shuttle bus, or walking, to the second terminal (not sure what airline you're arriving at). In most cases you need to check in at least an hour before departure time. Then go throuh security and get to your gate before boarding is terminated. If you're late, too bad. No way would 2 hours be enough. And that's IF your fight from London is on time and it doesn't take too long to disembark. The 8:55 p.m. flight would be the earliest I'd risk. You apparently feel that, even after the long flight from London (in economy?) and long wait at LAX, you'll be awake enough by the time you get to your hotel in Vegas (11? 12? 1?) to go out on the town. Good luck.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 14:10
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,954 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying into LAX and catching domestic flight to vegas

If the 8:55PM is on American, that is good because American is right next to Bradley International Terminal. It would be even better if the London flight is AA.