We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

We are going to Universal for sure and will take the studio tour while there. I know that tour is more of a ride. Do we see enough though to get a feel of a studio or should we head to Warner Bros as well? We'll only have a Saturday and Sunday in LA before heading to Disney and do want to swing by Santa Monica on Sunday on the way to Anaheim. I see Warner Bros as an early morning tour and just don't know if it will be worth it after going on the Universal Tour. Have two girls, 11 and 24.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,235 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

Universal's 'studio tour' is approximately 50 minutes in duration. 25 minutes of that is 'the ride' (special effects). That leaves 25 minutes for the actual 'tour of the studio'. The ride is conducted on a large tram with 200+ guests. It does not stop to let you off; it pauses at a number of exterior sets from movies and tv and drives by the sound stages where movie interiors and tv shows are made. If that sounds like enough 'to get a feel of a studio', then skip WB.

The WB tour, on the other hand is conducted on a tram that holds 11 guests. &You have a LIVE, PERSONAL guide with you for the 2 hours, 15 minute duration of the tour. The tour is preceded by a short film that shows 'blips' of dozens and dozens of famous WB films and provides an overview of the studio. You then drive by exterior sets (like you do at Universal) but you can stop and linger (take pics, etc, if you ask your guide). You then go INSIDE some of the buildings (at least one sound stage in order to visit the set of a tv show; often, a second sound stage as well; add to that, you visit a prop house, the set of 'Friends', a foley studio (look it up), a building with famous cars from WB films, the WB museum that has an extensive Harry Potter collection, and finally, the gift shop. You receive a complimentary photo of your family at the end of the tour (I won't spoil the fun by saying how the photo is made). During the 2 hours, 15 minutes of the tour, your guide is there to answer your questions (a feature that is absent from the Universal tour).

Does that sound 'worth it' to you?

NZ
Level Contributor
687 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

I did both recently, and for me they were quite different experiences. At WB our guide was great - he asked us what we were particularly interested in and then jiggled the itinerary to suit. We also saw some of the cast of Big Bang and two broke girls (who were standing outside as we drove past on our golf buggy). Universal is more about the special effects and rides.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
338 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

Completely different tours. We did both last Oct and were so glad we did. My DD was 13 and loves the show Pretty Little Liars- she was so excited to see lots of the sets and houses from the show- it helped that our guide Norman was a huge fan too. I loved the WB tour as we saw so much we recognised from TV and movies, defintely worth it if you are interested in TV and movies.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

Thanks for your replies. We leave in a week!!

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

I agree with everyone else, but I will add one thing you need to remember, the Warner Bros tour starts at a specific time that you need to select in advance. This requires a bit of planning to make sure you arrive in time for the tour. A weekend morning is bad from the standpoint of getting to see people working at the studio, but traffic should be good.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

Thanks for the tip. Our only available time to do it is on Sunday morning. We may do it anyway.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

Our WB guide was so-so. Luck of the draw. I think all tours stop at the Friends coffee house set (only set left from that show, I think). We walked through one other show's set-- some cable show I'd never heard of. In our case, tour focused more on current TV shows than movies, especially classic films. Stopped at a sound stage with some Batman movie cars. Overall, we were not impressed but many like the tour. I have heard it is better, in terms of studio tour, than Universal, Sony or Paramount. There are many, many reviews of all on TA.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 20:15
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

p.s. odds of seeing actors (as opposed to carpenters, etc) walking around are small. If filming is going on, set will be closed. We went on a weekday and saw little activity. I would not worry about missing something by going on a Sunday assuming they have tours then. As noted, traffic will be light. Not sure if you could escape $10 fee to park in their lot by parking on the street Sun. Maybe have breakfast or lunch at the historic Bob's Big Boy.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 20:21
9. Re: Do both Universal Studio Tour and Warner Bros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16