We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
197 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

Ok We are having a little anxiety on where to stay for 2 nights before a LA Kings game in DTLA Jan. 10 2015 . We fly into SNA airport at 11 am on Friday Jan 9 2015 and we are renting a car and heading to DTLA to attend the game Saturday night then Sunday morning we are packing up and heading to Anaheim for the Ducks game on Jan 11 2015. We were planning on staying in DTLA for the friday and Saturday night right around the staples center. My question is with a car its around $300+ dollars a night with parking. I was wondering if there is a less exsensive area to stay that is a short taxi ride from the LA live area. Any advice on where we could stay that is safe,fun and where we can park our rental car at a lesser prce then 300 dollars. We were thinking the JW Marriet hotel at the 300+ US dollars a night with taxes and including parking. Thanks in advance for any advice given here for us.

1. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 23:05
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

Paying for parking is pretty much standard for LA hotels. Very few places don't charge for parking. Don't get the idea you can park on the street overnight. Bad idea.

The JW Marriot is one of the best hotels in the city. So the rate you're getting seems reasonable, particularly if there's a hockey game going on during your stay. There's plenty of other places you could stay downtown. I could recommend a place about a mile away for about $125/night with free parking. But, it sure as heck ain't the Marriot. Sure, there are plenty of other less expensive places you could stay in LA. My hunch is you'll love the Marriot. I've stayed there and, damn, it is a fine hotel. (I also got it off-season for less than $200/night.) It will also give you a specific LA experience, which I'm sure you'll remember back in Winnipeg. (Go Jets!) My $125 place will give you a place to rest your head and that's about it.

So the question is existential. What kind of vacation in LA do you want? There is so much to see and do in LA, you really have to pick and choose. (i realize the hockey games are the priority here, as they should be.) Obviously, there are plenty of other places you could stay. You also need to ask yourself, what is your budget? And tell us more about what kind of experience you want to have and what kinds of things you like to see and do on vacation.

By the by, you know your Jets are going to be crushed.

HTH

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,030 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

All, but one of the LA Kings live in Manhattan Beach, several miles south of LAX. They practice a mile away in El Segundo at the Toyota Sports Center.

http://www.toyotasportscenter.com/

You might want to stay in either city and watch them practice up close and personal one of the days you are in town. Don't know the 2015 schedule yet. Check out the Hilton Garden Inn, around the corner from their practice rink. They have free parking, easy freeway access and it's about a 20 minute drive to downtown LA.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

"Team Practices :

Team practices are open to the public and free to watch at the training facility located at: 555 c Nash Street, El Segundo, CA 90245. Please call 310.535.4510 for more information or visit toyotasportscenter.com. "

http://mapq.st/1A12krD

The HGI is also aadjacent to the Metro Rail Green Line Mariposa/Nash station, (transfer to blue line) and offers easy access to Los Angeles Convention Center or Staples Center .

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/green-line/

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

The JW is a great hotel and you have to pay for parking no matter where you stay in LA.

However, I'm not sure why you're getting a high quote for early January, that's usually a very inexpensive time of year for hotels - I've stayed at that JW in January for about $165/night. Maybe book something you can cancel while you watch rates drop and then book again.

The Ace Hotel is nearby and much cheaper.

Also, with a car, you can stay anywhere you want in LA, if you have a car. Santa Monica rates are very low in January - I've seen the Shore at $150

Edited: 09 August 2014, 01:38
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

There is a new Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott at LA Live. Check those out. For your dates the RI is $175 with breakfast included. The CY is $159 no breakfast. Rates are with AAA/CAA discount.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

Hilton Checkers (located on Grand in Downtown LA) should run you about $200 per night or so. Not as fancy/new as JW Marriott but not a bad hotel either. Short walk to 7th/Flower metro stop which will take you directly to Staples Center, only one stop away. Parking would probably cost another 35 dollars per night.

The new Courtyard and Residence Inn at LA Live are also good suggestions as mentioned above.

7. Re: Need help where to stay for 2 nights for LA kings game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16