We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day LA Itinerary

lONG iSLAND, ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 day LA Itinerary

My family of 5 including 3 daughters ages 22, 19 and 15 1/2 will be staying in Santa Monica while visiting the LA area. We are arriving next week. I have come up with a possible tentative itinerary. We are extremely flexible and welcome all of your input.

Day 1, Wed 8/20

Arrive at LAX 9:45 a.m.

Renting a car and driving to Santa Monica

Santa Monica Farmer's Market ( hopefully before it closes at 1:30)

Rent bikes and travel from Santa Monica to Venice Beach on oceanfront walk

Muscle Beach

Venice Canals

Abbot Kinney Blvd

Pacific Park on Pier in the evening

Day 2, Thurs. 8/21

Warner Bros Tour

Hollywood Walk of Fame

Chinese Theater

Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills

Griffith Observatory to see views and Sunset

Don't know if the Farmer's Market, The Grove and La Brea Tar Pits should be saved for another day?

Maybe Santa Monica Pier at night If there is a free concert

Day 3,Friday 8/21

The 3 places listed above if we didnt get there on Thursday

LA Live

Grammy Museum

Dolby Theater

Runyon Canyon Park for a hike

Mulholland Drive/Hollywood Hills

Stahl House

Melrose Avenue

Met-Dodger Game ( either Friday or Saturday night)

Day 4, Saturday 8/23

Malibu

Brunch at Dukes or Paradise Cove

Malibu Country Market

Beach ( Zuma, Paradise Cove, El Matador or another beach anyone suggests)

Adamson House ( Guided tours vs. touring the grounds ourselves)

Met -Dodger game if we don't go on Friday night

Day 5, Sun. 8/24

Santa Monica Beach for a couple of hours

3rd St Promenade

Main St

SM Place Mall

Montana Avenue

(We don't have to go to all the above places in one day but would like to get there during our visit)

Hollywood Bowl - 7pm Beatles 50th Anniversary Tribute ( planning on taking shuttle from Santa Monica)

Day 6, Mon. 8/25

Do anything we didn't get to do.

Thoughts on Annenberg Beach House?

Can also spend a 3rd day in LA.

Possibly go to Magic Mountain or Marina Del Rey to either rent a boat or go Whale Watching

We are not set on anything in particular. Only have tickets for the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday night. I don't know if all the places we want to see in the 2 days in LA are feasible ( would also like to go to West Hollywood and Westwood and Sunset Strip) and will welcome suggestions that make more sense on the entire itinerary.

Thanking you in advance.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 day LA Itinerary

Venice Beach is really a weekend activity. Biking along the beach bike path is good on any day, but less crowded on a weekday.

Whale watching at this time of year is a little unusual, but possible. Some unusual species, like blue whales, have been showing up. I would first check the webpages that give details of whale sightings and census in the waters off of LA (Point Vicente).

Give some thought to an hour walk in Malibu Creek State Park. A lot of movies and TV shows are filmed there.

I think you did a good job of finding activities.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,111 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 day LA Itinerary

What a really nice itinerary! It looks like you've planned your days well so you aren't driving too much, either.

If you want to enjoy a pool near the ocean, then then Annenberg Beach house is worthwhile, kind of a bit of pampering on your holiday. When you rent the bikes, take a ride by and look, that should help you decide.

The Farmers Market/Grove/Tarpits is a good thing to group together because they are so close. I'd probably plan it the same way - see if you can get to it on day 2, otherwise, do it on day 3.

Runyan Canyon - my best advise is to go first thing in the morning; those canyons get really hot! Lots of water, of course.

Have a great time!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 day LA Itinerary

Basically, looks good. In no particular order, some tweaks.

Do the Malibu/beach stuff on Thursday. You don't want to be on PCH during the weekend when beach traffic will be heavy. My general advice is go early and as far north on PCH as you intend and start heading back early.

I would recommend Point Dume. It is south of Zuma Beach. When you get off PCH to enter Zuma, there is a small road to the south. Take it to the point. You can hike up from the beach. Steep but short. This is where the classic end of the movie scene for the original Planet of the Apes was shot. The view from Point Dume is superb. There's a boardwalk and overlook platform.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32676-d94…

Do the Dodger game on Saturday. Friday traffic will suck.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame blows. You've been warned. The Chinese Theater's historic screen is a great place to see a blockbuster. The Egyptian Theater is home to the American Cinemateque. Check out their ever-changing list of films. Kids might like Amoeba.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

americancinemathequecalendar.com/egyptian_th…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d59…

Have dinner on Abbot Kinney one night.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d29…

Take a walking tour with the LA Conservancy in downtown. This is off your radar and should be on it. Downtown is an architectural gold mine.

https://www.laconservancy.org/walking-tours

If you're downtown, Disney Concert Hall deserves at least a drive-by. If you want to stop, check out the Cathedral a block away. Roof park at Disney is worthwhile. The public plaza at the Cathedral is well-done, too.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d25…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d25…

If you're downtown during the week, check out the Observation Deck at City Hall. It is a few blocks away from Disney Hall.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d14…

Pack a picnic for the Hollywood Bowl. Bring wine, although with kids you've got to take it easy. Use their regional buses to get there. You don't want to even think of driving and parking at the Bowl.

Dude, you must get to The Getty Center in Brentwood. Lunch on the patio is a quintessential experience. Surprisingly good food. Just one glass of wine! Just go one morning and have lunch.

Before the Dodger game, head to Philippe's. Classic Dodger hangout. One of my favorite LA places. Olvera Street and Union Station are worth a quick walk. Here's my review.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d3647…

If you like books and architecture, check out the Central Library downtown. One of my favorite places in LA.

There's plenty more to see and do. But, you've got only six days.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 day LA Itinerary

Day #1 seems like a lot of physical effort for the first day. You'll be getting up before the crack of dawn, transferring to the airport in NY, flying for 5-1/2 hours and then you want to

1. Drive a car to Santa Monica

2. Rush through the farmers market

3. Rent bikes and explore the beach community

Yeesh. I'm tired just writing about it. How about putting your day #5 on day 1? This way, you arrive and you just chill for a while.

lONG iSLAND, ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 day LA Itinerary

Thank you for your feedback Ralph and Plumeria.We can switch our days itineraries if need be Hop Skip Jump. I guess we can see what time we get to Santa Monica. With my 3 girls the best plans can always change on a dime and I think we have the flexibility to do that on days 1 and 5. I will research all of your suggestions Hitch.

6. Re: 6 day LA Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17