We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

my buddy and I are heading to LA and Anaheim for the hockey games in January. We fly into SNa airport on Friday at 11 am. We have a car and will be heading to DTLA and staying at the Residence Hotel at LA live area. Sunday morning we are heading out to Anaheim for the sunday night game then heading out monday morning from SNA back home to Canada. My question is what can my buddy and I do for the Friday night and Saturday Morning and early after before the LA kings game saturday night. We are early 50's so the night life thing is out for us now. We are just not sure what we should be seeing in our first ever visit to California and what is easily accessable from our hotel and area where we are staying. Any advice on what we should be looking at seeing and doing for a friday afternnon and evening and a saturday morning and early afternoon. We are heading from a area that is 2 hours ahead of LA time so we will be up very early raring to go around 5 am LA time as it will be 7 am our time . Thanks for all help on here. Much appreciated

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

Do you have particular interests, like cars, aquariums,ships, whales, or art? My thought is to go somewhere like the Warner Bros studio which is unique to LA and somewhat close to downtown. The tough part of visiting there is that you need to reserve a specific time in advance for a tour, which might overly constrain you for a Friday visit.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

Tell us what kinds of stuff you guys enjoy when traveling. Don't tell us what you think you should see in LA. Will you have a car?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

yes we have a car like my opening post says. We want to do some sight seeing and stuff that don't cost to much as we are spending enough already flying to California for 2 hockey games. suggestions are all we are asking for. No art galleries or mueseums is about all we wont care to see while in LA. What the top 2 or 3 things to see if staying in DTLA for 1 night and 1 day . Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

I'd go to Olvera Street and walk around Little Tokyo. Maybe go up to the observation deck in City Hall. Go take a look at Grand Central Market. Drive up to the Griffith Observatory. Take the Red Line or drive over to Hollywood and walk around.

Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

Hello fellow hockey fan! I've been to the staples center twice to see my team play vs kings, just an FYI those kings people are not the most welcoming ! As you probably know there are lots of restaurants at LA live . But my advice since you have a car is head up the coast line , so many breakfast places and restaurants along the beach.

Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

Google Long Beach or Manhattan Beach. If you want to load up on snacks for your road trip then stop at a Trader Joes , they have great and unique stuff.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
669 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

I like the Griffith Observatory idea I saw from someone else.

But if you want to dive (not literally) right in to California, how about heading up the Orange County coast on the way from SNA to DTLA? You can go down the 55 (SR-55 Freeway) to Newport Boulevard, then turn right on Pacific Coast Highway.

You'll pass through Huntington Beach (with it's surf culture), tiny Sunset Beach, then Seal Beach. These are some of Southern California's most laid-back / casual beaches. Taking a walk on the beach in winter is one of my very favorite things to do - the waves are usually crashing, and it's not the least bit crowded. You could even find Huntington Beach Pier or Seal Beach Pier to walk out over the waves.

You could have a leisurely lunch and see the waves (maybe fish or tacos). Drive with the windows down and enjoy the ocean breeze (even in January it shouldn't be too cold, though I suppose rain is theoretically possible). My idea has the added benefit of allowing you to get comfortable driving on our multi-lane highways before you have to endure the 405.

LA
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

Treena reported as spam

9. Re: staying in DTLA Jan9&10 2015 for hockey game. What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:17