We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week in LA in late September

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
1 Week in LA in late September

I've decided to spend a week in LA in late September with my wife, in our early 30s. We'd like to spend some a few days on the beach, visit Hollywood, maybe 1 day at a theme park and do some shopping.

I think our best options our Beverley Hills or Hollywood. There's a lot of hotels which all seem quite expensive. Anyone have any they can recommend that aren't too costly? I'd like to spend $250 a night roughly.

My research says LA is quite mixed depending on where you are in September. I'd be hoping it's hot enough for shorts and to swim at the beach?

Lastly, we'd like to stay somewhere (if possible) whcih is within walking distance of restaurants so we can walk out to dinner. I guess Hollywood would be our best option for that?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

Are you going to have a car?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

Santa Monica is your best option for walking to restaurants, shops, the beach and more. It's pricy, so it depends if you can find something for $250 all in - look in downtown Santa Monica, not the outskirts.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 20:47
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

September we still tend to have summer weather at the start of the month - in fact this can be the hottest time of the year, especially inland away from the beaches. By the end of the month it can be a bit cooler, even in to full-fledged fall weather, though usually that doesn't happen until mid-October'ish.

Will you have a car?

For about $250, I would look into Sofitel, its right in between Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, and there is tons of both shopping and restaurants in walking distance there.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,424 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

There is dining and shopping in all of the popular neighborhoods so no matter where you stay, you'll be able to walk to dinner. Each neighborhood is different. If you have a computer (not a mobile device), look at our TOP QUESTIONS box for an overview of each neighborhood. Here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171689/Los-An…

Hollywood and Beverly Hills are quite different from one another. Beverly Hills is upscale; Hollywood is mid-range. Beverly Hills is very central; Hollywood is more inland (further from the ocean). I like the Beverly Grove neighborhood (where the Sofitel, as recommended above, is located). Lots of shopping and dining nearby. Sofitel Hotel, Orlando Hotel, Elan Hotel or even Le Parc Suite Hotel (which is on the border of West Hollywood and Beverly Grove) -- this hotel has some shopping and dining nearby but you'd need to walk about 10 minutes to Beverly Grove (or take a 1 minute taxi ride or even a bus) for much more.

Will you have a car?

LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

Treena reported as spam

LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

You can see on that link that Tina1622 gets a commission or payment if you click on that link. It's spam. Don't open it.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 01:44
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

Actually, both of your choices are poor for what you're looking for in some or all regards.

Hollywood isn't the glamorous place you image. While there are some good hotels there now, the places skews very touristy in a tacky way. At night, there are plenty of nightclubs which skew very young. It is very far from the beach. I like the place because I like to go to the Chinese Theater's historic screen and the Egyptian Theater which is home to the American Cinemateque. Read the reviews for the Walk of Fame. Disappointment is the common response (i.e. that's it?). Most visitors don't read the reviews. An hour is plenty to check out the place. I'd suggest skipping it entirely, unless you have a thing for wax museums and clearly plenty of visitors do. You've been warned. Don't complain if it disappoints.

BH is actually a rather dull part of town for most visitors. Most of the place shuts down in the evening. The only reason I go there is to visit my dentist. You may find a quick jaunt through Rodeo interesting. Yes, the residential neighborhoods are very affluent. If you like looking at expensive real estate, knock yourself out.

If you're going to a theme park, you're renting a car.

Santa Monica in September is your best bet. The setting is beautiful overlooking the Pacific Beach. The weather will be absolutely perfect. Plenty hot and sunny. The coast literally glows this time of year. Restaurants and retail are world-class. Even better, the summer season has passed and rates come down considerably. My recommendation would be the quirky Hotel California. The location can't be beat. The sense of California is very powerful. Don't pay for parking at their tiny lot. Park at the City Hall lot one block over, which is $5/night.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33052-d82076-R…

HSJ's recommendation of Beverly Grove neighborhood is an excellent second choice. I like the Farmer's Daughter, which is across the street from The Grove/Farmer's Market. But, the neighborhood has some other places, too.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d119479-…

Culver City might also work for you. Just make sure you stay in the downtown area. Many hotels say they are in CC. But, really, they on the outskirts in unattractive areas. The Culver Hotel is great. So, too, is the Craftsman's B&B. Both are in or within walking distance of CC's vibrant downtown area.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d84169-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d1784957…

HTH

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

I like the sound of Santa Monica, what would the weather be like? Nice enough for a day at the beach in shorts?

We'll definitely hire a car btw.

I have been to Hollywood before and as you've said, didn't think much of the stars, it was a little grim.

The only issue I can see with Santa Monica is that in late September it might be a little cool and the hotels are all quite expensive, even the holiday inn/travel lodge ones!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

Shorts at the beach in Santa Monica should be possible late September. Sunning on the beach or more than just dipping toes into the ocean without a wet suit may be less likely. And yes, Santa Monica hotels are pricey.

10. Re: 1 Week in LA in late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17