We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Dodgers Stadium

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Walking to Dodgers Stadium

I will be in LA from 9/17-9/19, 3 full days, travelling on 16th and 20th. Unfortunately, the Dodgers are on the road, so I'd like to visit for a stadium tour. I will have a car, but would prefer to take metro rail, and don't want to bother with a bus. I don't think there's an express because there is no game during those days. I am in my mid-30's, and will be making the trip with my wife in early 30's, and son in early 3's, so we'll have a stroller. I have a simple question: how is the walk from Chinatown station to Dodger Stadium? Google Maps shows it as a 0.7 mile walk, and there are sidewalks throughout, so it seems reasonable (although a bit uphill, but I wanted to see if there was something I am missing.

I will be coming from Wilshire/Normandie station, and if metro rail is doable, will combine the Stadium trip with Cali Science Center and a stroll by the Disney Concert Hall. If driving is better, will be combining it with drive to Griffith Park for the zoo, trains, and the observatory. Oh, while I'm at it, might as well ask another question that I probably know the answer to. Museum of Natural History here is pretty much the same thing as the one in NY, right?

Thanks all.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Dodgers Stadium

For one thing, the walk is a bit longer than what Google is saying - if I use Google to get directions from Chinatown station to Dodger Stadium, the location its using for Dodger Stadium is on the edge of the stadium property and there is not an entrance to the stadium grounds there. You'd need to walk past that spot and continue to the downtown gate - and once there you've got a bit of a walk through the parking lot to reach the stadium itself. Plus, you don't really have a proper sidewalk on the road leading up to the downtown gate - there's a place to walk on the edge of the road but its not really paved properly so a stroller isn't going to work well there.

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Dodgers Stadium

Hmm good point. Further review of the map shows that the walk to the entrance would be about 1.2-1.5 miles, if not more. Combining this with the walking during the tour, and walking back may be a bit too much with a child, and time spent. I guess driving may be the better option. Thanks MachThree.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Dodgers Stadium

A couple of things...

While it seems reasonable that using the trains would be easier than using a bus (especially if you have a stroller), the transfer from the Disney Concert Hall to the Stadium is remarkably easy by bus (much quicker and easier than using a train). Here are the steps:

1. Walk to the corner of Temple St & Hill St (here's a 'walking map' from the Disney Concert Hall): http://mapq.st/9-qEE6rZKG -- a walk of about 9 minutes. While the walk to the Civic Center station of the red line metro rail is only about half as far, you would then have to descend two levels to the platform either via the escalators or the elevator (which always seems to take longer to arrive than necessary).

2. Take the #4 bus to the corner of Sunset Bl & Elysian Park Av (8 minutes).

3. Walk 'up the hill' to the Stadium -- here's a map: http://mapq.st/VICLMk (about 15 minutes).

Just one bus: easy!

Using the trains will take a while longer:

16 minutes to walk to the Civic Center station, ride the red line to Union Station, transfer to the gold line to chinatown and then what: You're still over a mile from the Stadium!

... and don't forget, you have to transfer between the red line and the gold line at Union Station (which takes some practice so you don't end up on the wrong side of the tracks for the gold line -- signage is poor).

On the other hand, if I was a 3-year old, I wouldn't want to miss the zoo and the 'steamer trains' at Griffith Park (or the carousel or the pony ride or...)

BTW, while you're in Griffith Park, consider renting bicycles near the southeast entrance to the Park. They have tandem bicycles for an adult plus a child, btw. You could park by the bicycle place and ride over to the train museums and back.

Just a thought.

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Dodgers Stadium

Thanks for the tips, HopSkipJump. I've now ruled out rail, so I'll either drive or take the bus as you thoughtfully advised.

I'm definitely going to Griffith Park, but now am intrigued by the bike suggestion. I wanted to do a tandem bike at Santa Monica Pier, but might as well do it here since it would serve a purpose other than to ride a bike around. Is it possible, or advisable, to rent a bike to go to the train museum, zoo, and the observatory? Is it easy to drive between and park at these Griffith Park attractions? (Although I do want to check out the telescope at the observatory so that would be too late to return the bike.)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Dodgers Stadium

Riding the bike up the BIG HILL to the Observatory is possible (I've done it!) but it is, huff, huff, a challenge. (Of course, going down is much easier!). Plenty of parking at all of the attractions -- except, at the observatory, their lot is small so in most cases, you'll have to park on one of the 'mountain roads' that lead up to the Observatory and walk up (usually no more than about 10 minutes).

Here's a map of Griffith park that might be helpful (note: 'Crystal Springs is where the bicycle rental is located):

laparks.org/dos/…gpmap.pdf

6. Re: Walking to Dodgers Stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:16