We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UBER or Taxis ?

Ireland
Level Contributor
232 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
UBER or Taxis ?

From what I am reading Uber is the way to go while in LA ?

Are there any issues I should be aware of please? I have the app, are they available within minutes 24 hours ?

thank you for the help !

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

In a big city like Los Angeles they will be highly available and you should not have to wait long at all. Be aware that you will never know the total cost of the trip until the trip has ended. Their charge depends on the time and distance. And during peak demand periods they use "surge pricing" which can be significantly more expensive. It will show the surge rate (multiplier) on the app and you have to agree to it before you will get the car to come to you. I've used Uber 3 times and I found the drivers polite and friendly and the cars clean and nice.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

Actually the "way to go" IMO is a rental car, but that is your choice. Never used Uber since I don't have a smart phone.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

My only problem with Uber is that you have to give them your credit card info to keep on their web site. I don't like doing that but others have no problem with that idea.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

Yes the way to go is rent a car ... They're inexpensive, it's easy to drive here ... and it will make your stay so much more enjoyable. This is not a city like Dublin or London ...

USA
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

I saw a car the other day in NYC with an uber sign on a printed piece of paper in the rear side window. It looked like someones car, what exactly is uber?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Level Contributor
232 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

I have a rental car it's more so at night time when I'm in restaurants having a drink etc I won't drive then obviously.

7. Re: UBER or Taxis ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:16