We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood Safe to Stay?

North Branch...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood Safe to Stay?

Where is a safe area to stay in Hollywood? We plan to visit the Walk of Fame, Universal Studios, & Warner Brothers. We were trying not to rent a car. I was told West Hollywood was a good area, but I am seeing a lot of crime there.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

Well, first, there's Hollywood itself, which of course has a western part, but there is a separate area to the immediate west of Hollywood called West Hollywood. Generally West Hollywood is a very nice area. So if your source really means that there is high crime in West Hollywood, rather than in the western part of Hollywood itself, I'd be quite surprised. But even if your source means the western part of Hollywood, I'd still be a little bit surprised. Certainly not crime free but....

In any case, its Hollywood itself that tends to be a good place to stay if you are not renting a car - particularly near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. which is a big tour bus hub, public bus / subway hub and is also pretty close to the places that you mentioned wanting to see. There are hotels in that area that span a wide range of prices so often makes sense for visitors without a car.

West Hollywood is a bit more difficult without a car, but it depends exactly where you stay.

An alternative which I don't necessarily suggest is to stay closer to Universal Studios - somewhere like the Sportsman's Lodge or The Garland (formerly Beverly Garland Holiday Inn) which have free shuttles to Universal Studios and it won't be all that difficult to get to Warner Bros. and to the Walk of Fame from there. These hotels are in safe areas. The disadvantage of these is that without a car it can be a bit more difficult to explore most of LA except for Warner, Universal and Hollywood which are all close by here without your own car.

Nottingham, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

Hi,

I've been reading quite a bit on here, that Hollywood is ok, providing you keep your wits about you, don't go into dark deserted areas and just generally use your common sense, as you would anywhere really.

When do you go?

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

If you're concerned about safety and don't want the fear to ruin your vacation, stay up at Universal, the Hilton or the Sheraton. You'll have a quick subway ride down to see the walk of fame and a quick bus ride over to Warner Brothers. How many days is your trip? There is no reason to stay in Hollywood just to visit the Walk of Fame...unless you're on a low budget.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

You do know that Universal and Warner aren't in Hollywood, right? Only studio tour in Hollywood is Paramount. Walk of Fame (stars on sidewalk) shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes unless you look for lots of specific stars. You can take a tour through the Dolby Theater (Academy Awards site) or the Chinese Theatre, but need to pay for either. If you stay in Hollywood you can get to Universal by subway and tram. Warner a bit tougher. Idea to stay near Universal makes sense.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 18:56
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

I live in West Hollywood and am in Hollywood frequently on business. You have nothing to worry about re: safety in Hollywood or West Hollywood. I sell real estate for a living and know the districts well (and live in West Hollywood). Repeat: you have nothing to worry about.

As far as your itinerary is concerned, I would recommend staying as close to central Hollywood (near the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av) as you can. This will make public transit transfer easy since:

1. Universal Studios is only a single stop away on the red line metro rail (a 4 minute ride, followed by a free 1 minute tram ride 'up the hill' to Universal). The trains run every 12 minutes and the trams run every 15 minutes (less frequently at night).

2. Warner Bros is accessible via the Metro 222 bus which runs through central Hollywood. It's a 30 minute ride to the corner of Hollywood Way & Riverside Drive. Get off the bus there, walk 2 blocks to the office building at 3400 Riverside Drive, walk to the rear entrance and enter the building there to begin your tour.

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel a 3 min walk to Hollywood Blvd. It felt really safe and I had my children with me. Very close to the subway for Universal Studios and to the tour buses. Highly recommend this hotel. Hollywood Blvd itself was somewhat sleazy but worth seeing once :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
321 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

My family recently visited Hollywood and stayed at the Hollywood Orchids Suites, which I highly recommend. It's a former apartment complex converted to a hotel, and the rooms are very roomy. Best of all, the hotel is located adjacent to an outdoor mall that is in the heart of Hollywood. We were literally just 5 minutes walk to the Walk-of-Fame and Chinese Theatre. I was with my wife, two teenage girls and 10 year-old son and we all felt very safe in that area. Surprisingly clean, and the outdoor mall was very nice with shops and restaurants.

We opted to not drive to Universal Studios, but rather take a taxi. It was a $12 ride for the 5 of us, and they dropped us off right at the front gate.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

I find your concern mildly amusing. When you say you are seeing a lot of crime in West Hollywood, can you be specific? Perhaps you've been watching Training Day?

Crime in LA has plummeted to historic lows since the bad old days of the late 80 and early 90s. You'll have to look hard to find trouble in both neighborhoods. Common sense and big city smarts will protect you and your property. LA isn't like most European cities which have distinctively dangerous districts which have effectively been abandoned by the police. So your notion of wandering into danger is unwarranted.

HTH

9. Re: Hollywood Safe to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:15