We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Hey, if you had to drive from Anaheim (Disneyland) to Santa Barbara on a Wednesday morning in October which route would you take to avoid as much LA traffic as possible? What time would you leave at? How long would you expect this drive to be with traffic?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Leave after 9:30 am. Any earlier and you will be in bumper to bumper no matter which way you go. Leaving late morning, you'll be in the lightest traffic of the day no matter which route you choose. Best case, no traffic, probably 2.5 hours. Worst case, sky's the limit. If you decide to travel at a different time of day, get back to us for route advice.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Leave at 9:00 am and drive the coastal route, it is way worth it. LA traffic is not so bad. I just visited Honolulu and will never again complain about LA traffic. The horror stories of past decades, while true, are being repeated all across America now. We are orderly and mostly friendly, so adjust those mirrors, start up Google maps and enjoy the ride!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

If you decide to do the coast route, I would not drive the coast thru Orange County and LA...probably the 5 N. to the 10 west; 10 W ends at the beach, and turns into the Pacific Coast Highway. PCH to Rice Avenue (farmland just before Oxnard). Rice Avenue to 101-- then 101 to Santa Barbara.

I'd stick with 9:30. Safer than 9. I agree that other parts of the country are giving us good competition for bad traffic (we just got back from Seattle-- AWFUL traffic). However, our distances are long and the traffic can be very slow.

Freeway in area around Downtown LA is very confusing. Lots of interchanges, freeways weaving in and out. Turn off the radio and pay attention.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Or turn on the radio. for regular traffic reports. An accident or construction could affect what routes are best. KNX 1070-AM used to be good. Not sure of best ones now. Hwy. 1, through Malibu, to Oxnard is nice. I think you'd then want to get on Hwy.101 (freeway).

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:31
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

p.s. know that folks in L.A., my hometown, typically refer to freeways by "the" and a number (e.g, take the 5 to the 405 to the 10, and then get on Pacific Coast Highway). The freeways have names, too, but those are used less often (e.g., I remember when the San Diego Freeway was built).

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:34
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. I think I will wait to leave for around 9:30 and do as told here, pay attention to websites/traffic reports and if it seems doable take the coastal highway to enjoy the view.. if not then just go with the fastest route available.

We live in the prairies, as land locked as it gets, so any view of the ocean is stunning to us. :)

I know of this website : http://www.nbclosangeles.com/traffic/

Any other traffic recommendations?

edit: Wow I just checked that website.. everything at a stand still. I see now why you guys advise not to go through LA at this time, lol.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:48
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Definitely take the 10 to PCH and drive the coastal route.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,625 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

If I really wanted to avoid LA traffic I'd take the route below.

http://goo.gl/maps/D1P7k

57 Freeway to the 210 to the 5 to the 126 to the 101. It takes along the outside of metro LA and is going opposite most traffic in the morning.

The best online site for traffic in So Cal is SigAlert.com.

sigalert.com/…2

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

That website is amazing, thank you so much. Real time updates, very handy.. for instance if this happens that morning:

Closed due to accident - 10 (I-10 Santa Monica Fwy) West at Pacific Ave 6:11 AM

* !! SIGALERT !! Santa Monica - 10 WEST at McClure Tunnel: A motorcycle crash has ALL LANES blocked. Traffic is being diverted off at Lincoln. It's backed up to the 5. EAST is slow from Robertson to the 110. ALT: Santa Monica Blvd or Wilshire.

Definitely want to take a different route :)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anaheim to Santa Barbara

Well, since you're getting a lesson in Angelese,here's info on what a Sigalert.is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_Alert You can show off by saying you know it was named after Loyd C. "Sig" Sigmon, If you go up to the 101, keep in mind the 405 over Sepulveda Pass, near UCLA and the Getty Center, can be busy both directions, though in the morning, southbound should usually be the worst.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 17:33