We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking near AP?

NJ
Level Contributor
918 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
walking near AP?

I know there are sidewalks & I am aware that the area seems to be industrial & hotels but, as a woman, can I safely walk from the Crown Plaza on West Century Blvd to the Dollar Rental Car office on Arbor Vitae Street? MapQuest says it's .89 miles so I'm not concerned with the distance just my safety. It's about a 20 minute walk which I don't mind.

If I can't walk I'll just take the hotel shuttle back to LAX & then pick up the rental car shuttle from there.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking near AP?

Assuming you're not making this walk after dark, it's safe albeit boring. As you've noted, the walk is about 20 minutes. Here are some other transfer options to consider:

1. Take a taxi. The ride is a tad over a mile so the taxi fare would be: $2.85 for the first 1/9th mile + $2.70 for the next mile + $1 for 'waiting time' at red lights = $6.55. Add $1 for the tip. The ride will take 3 minutes and you'll be able to take your luggage along with little effort. So, you'll save some time and effort and it will cost you only $7.55. Why not splurge? It's your vacation.

2. Take a bus. Walk to the corner of Airport Bl & 96th St. Here's the walk:

http://mapq.st/1-yr5j4chA -- a walk of 9 minutes. Then take the #111 Metro bus ($1.75) northbound for 2 minutes to the stop at Bellanca & Arbor Vitae which is a 30-second walk to the car rental lot.

If you take the hotel tram back to LAX and transfer to the Dollar lot, the transfer will cost you nothing -- a savings of either $1.75 or $7.55 versus the above 2 options) but it will take a LONG TIME (I'll explain below) so think about whether saving time is worth $1.75 to you -- or maybe even $7.55.

Transferring for free involves the following steps:

1. Waiting for the hotel shuttle to pull up in front of the hotel (10 minutes?)

2. Riding it to the airport (2 minutes)

3. Stopping at a number of terminals to allow others to get off or get on (3 or 4 minutes)

4.When you do finally get off, you have to wait for the dollar van (10 minutes? 15?)

5. It, too, may stop a number of times before leaving the airport (3 or 4 minutes)

6. Driving to the car rental lot (3 minutes)

So, that's about 30 minutes of transfer time on the 2 vans (for free) versus walking for 20 minutes (for free), walking + taking a bus for 11 minutes ($1.75) or taking a taxi for 3 minutes ($7.55).

Incidentally, the 2-van transfer covers a distance of 1.5 miles and takes 30 minutes. That's a speed of 3 miles per hour!

Your choice!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking near AP?

Sure you can walk to the Rental Car office from the hotel's on Century Blvd. Lots of activity during the day.

If you are looking for somewhere to go to dinner the evening before, the Ocean Express Shuttle is on the Crown Plaza Route. $5 pp r/t to Manhattan Beach shops and restaurants. They run until about 10PM.

gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/…

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,216 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
NJ
Level Contributor
918 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking near AP?

Thank you both for the helpful info. We won't get in until 10 & we'll think it's 2 am so no Manhattan Beach for us but it's nice to know there's an option. the taxi seems the way to go. I'm assuming the concierge can get me one.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,216 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
4. Re: walking near AP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:17