We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Downtown LA

Hello,

I plan on spending a day in Downtown LA and I need some advice on how to go about there. I plan to buy the Metro day pass and commute around Downtown LA since the traffic is bad there in the weekend. Since I will be in Downtown LA area, do you think it's necessary to buy the Metro day pass. I do not mind walking but if a distance takes longer than 20 to walk, I would prefer to buy the day pass for the Metro.

I plan to go to the following location:

Downtown Los Angeles Area/South Park:

1. Pershing Square

2. Grand Central Market

3. Fashion District

4. Chinatown

5. MacArthur Park

6. Silverlake/Echo Park

7. MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art).

8. Broadway District

9. Grand Park

10. Marvel at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

11. Wonder around Downtown LA and look at the awesome architecture.

12. Bradbury Building

13. LA Live

14. USC/ Expedition Park

15. Olvera Street

16. LA Central Public Library

17. The Last Book Store

Thank you.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown LA

The single-ride fare is about to rise to $1.75 and the day pass is about to rise to $7 so if you take 4 single rides, that is equivalent to the cost of a day pass. (You'll also need to spend a dollar on a TAP CARD if you plan to buy a pass). So basically, if you plan to ride buses and/or metro rail trains 4 or more times in one day, the day pass is a good idea: at the least, you won't have to fumble with 'exact change' for the buses -- a convenience that's worth 'paying a little more for, imo.

Using any online mapping program, you can create a 'walking map' of all of the sites you've mentioned. When you do, you'll see that many of these sites are near to one another and a few of them are 'further away'.

Here's a recap. Relatively close together are the following:

a. Grand Park, Walt Disney Concert Hall, MOCA, Grand Central Market

b. Broadway District, Bradbury Building, Pershing Square, The Last Book Store

c. Fashion District -- by itself

d. Chinatown, Olvera Street

e. MacArthur Park -- by itself

f. Silverlake/Echo Park -- by itself

g. LA Central Public Library, LA Live

h. USC/ Expedition (Exposition) Park -- by itself

e., f. and h would be long walks through boring areas and since you'd need to return from these areas (as they are outside of downtown), you'd be looking at 6 public transit transfers -- which suggests a 'day pass' is the way to go.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown LA

That's a lot of stuff for one day. Probably too much.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown LA

You'd want the day pass - a lot of that stuff is clustered together in the core of downtown but a lot of it are geographically speaking outliers. USC you'd want to take bus / light rail, Macarthur park the subway and echo park a bus in particular. Chinatown / Olvera St. I'd not really want to walk to from the central part of downtown either - just gets into a lengthy walk. So yes I would buy the day pass and take advantage of it at least to reach those places.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,473 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown LA

Actually, weekend traffic is not bad at all, so you might consider driving. Parking is cheap downtown on weekends as well. Have you looked at any of the self-guided walking tours here:

https://www.laconservancy.org/walking-tours

With a car, you can cover more ground, too.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown LA

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the response. After looking the Google Map and considering the time I have for a day, I cannot go to all the listed places on my list. I have taken some out of the list and narrowed down to some location.

I decided to only stay within Downtown LA area. My next question is what is the best option for transportation now since I curbed by destination area.

Here are the places I will visit according to the proximity of each location:

**I grouped the location according to how close they are to each other.

Group 1. Grand Central Market area, MOCA, LA Central LIbrary, Perishing Square, Bradbury building, Last Book Store, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels

Group 2. Fashion District

Group 3. Art District

Fashion District (Group 2) is a bit far from Group 1 so I am planning to park in the middle of Downtown LA, maybe close to the Perishing Square area. What do you all think? Do you all think I should still get Metro day pass?

Edited: 29 August 2014, 07:51
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown LA

Since you'll be paying a ridiculously high price for parking, I'm not sure why you're tormenting yourself over whether to buy the pass or not. It's $8. Just buy it.

7. Re: Downtown LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16