We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

Vancouver Island...
1 post
Save Topic
How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

Hi,

Could someone advise of the best way to get a car (1999 Toyota Tercel, good nick and fuel efficent) from LA to preferably Toronto.

We have tried looking at a few driveaway companies however they are quite expensive. My girlfirend and I are travelling and need to go home semi suddenly and would love to pick the car up somewhere in the Northeast Of Canada maybe America.

Thoughts? Good car share websites?

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
379 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Los Angeles and Hollywood Day Trip...
122 Reviews
from US$198.99*
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
126 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
Menifee, California
Level Contributor
681 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

How much are the quotes for the driveaway companies? Probably your only other option is to ship it by truck carrier. Military types do it all the time, it's pretty easy. Google car shipping companies if you want more information, and then check for reviews.

2. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2018, 13:58
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

Moving a car across countries is a different issue. You may have to deal with Canada Customs.

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

I'd probably avoid the driveaway method for a trip that long, especially with a border crossing involved. It may be cheaper to hire someone to drive it, but you should work with a pro if you're having it shipped from the U.S. to Canada. If you need a recommendation, my sister in law has used A-1 Auto Transport https://www.a1autotransport.com/ to ship between Canada and the U.S. before with no issues.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

Sorry, didn't realize this was from last year. Probably taken care of.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

You can check with transporters like transportmyautomobile.com, uship.com and shipoverseas.com for shipping your vehicle reliably from one location to another.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,672 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

I predict that this thread will be necro-replied every year up to 2025.

Coastal South...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

Old Post!! Well there are plenty of shipping companies that would transport your vehicle from LA to Toronto. Try searching for them online. Just a month ago, my Uncle Car Transport California ( wewilltransportit.com/auto-shipping-californ… )his 1977 Volkswagen Beetle from Maryland to California in an enclosed transport carrier through We Will Transport It. They assured him door to door services and their charges are relevant. It's affordable availing their international services as well.

Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

you could probably hire me to do drive it for you.

10. Re: How to get my car from LA to Toronto/Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2017, 01:52