We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best view of the Hollywood Sign

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
367 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best view of the Hollywood Sign

I'm sure this is subjective, but can anyone give me a good vantage point to get a shot of the Hollywood sign. I have a pretty powerful zoom, but hey...;let's be realistic! We have a rental car, so driving is not out of the question, but I'd hate to make a long drive if I didn't have to. Thoughts?

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best view of the Hollywood Sign

Hi NOLATiger,

One way to get a view of the Hollywood sign is at the Hollywood and Highland shopping complex. If you go upstairs to the 2nd level there is an area in the back of the complex with a view of the Hollywood sign. It's not the closest view but it's easy to get to. Also if you drive north on Highland past Hollywood Blvd as you can get a pretty good view of the sign as well, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find a place to park.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,196 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best view of the Hollywood Sign

Since you have a car, you can get very close to the sign in no time. From the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Avenue, go north on Highland and turn right onto Franklin Av (Be careful: Franklin Av intersects Highland Avenue twice -- first, it is a LEFT turn (just north of Hollywood Bl (don't turn LEFT; continue north on Highland and turn RIGHT onto the next street which is also Franklin Ave, in the easterly direction).

Follow Franklin for about a mile until you reach Beachwood Drive. Turn left onto Beachwood Drive and you will see the Hollywood sign ahead of you as you drive up the road. Pull over where it is convenient and take your photos.

NOTE: You can't go up to the sign -- it is barred from public trespass. But, you can get very close.

Here's a map of the aforementioned route.

Have fun.

Simi Valley, CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best view of the Hollywood Sign

Many many years ago before they beefed up the security around the fence and made it all but impossible to reach without permission, me and a few friends hiked up the hill past the tower and made it down to sign itself. Everyone always talked about the view when seeing the sign, we wanted to experience the view FROM the sign. And it was a damn nice view at that.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,859 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best view of the Hollywood Sign

Actually, you can get even closer. As you drive up Beachwood, hang a left on Ledgewood Drive. Follow Ledgewood and eventually, the road will crest and you'll start meandering to the west. A park will appear and the Hollywood sign is perched above.

I realize this is a little vague. Just bring a map and follow Ledgewood.

5. Re: Best view of the Hollywood Sign

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:24