We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidays in August

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Holidays in August

We are travelling to Los Angeles in August and are wondering if we were to go to Disneyland on a Thursday or Friday how busy it would be, is it school holidays in August, if it was going to be really crowded we would probably opt to do something else whilst in Los Angeles

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,835 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holidays in August

July AND August are school holidays in most of the USA. By the end of Aug some schools are back in session in some states.

Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holidays in August

Hi and an early welcome to our state!

You will find pretty much all the schools out in August- many districts start having the kids show up either the first week of September or the last week of August- colleges will be in session about mid month but they wouldn't be packing Disneyland.

For things to do I suggest south of Anaheim and Disneyland is the town of Laguna- nice beach area, plenty of little shops filled with cool art items- a nice walkable downtown. Laguna has the Sawdust Festival (also known as the Laguna Arts Festival) which is filled with the works of local artisans- very nice- and demonstrations of glassblowing and pottery working- its kid friendly and they have musi and entertainment all day. It runs I believe mid July through into August.

I throw that out there since I just recently remembered it for mention for another poster.

Disneyland isn't too bad early in the day- if you get there at opening you won't encounter those long lines for a couple hours- you just need to head into the park away from the main gate.

The fastpass they utilize works great- punch in your tickets and it gives you a designated time you can roll into the ride and skip standing in line - you can only have one ride "reserved" like this at a time but it sure can come in handy to get a fastpass, break and eat lunch, then go right onto one of their choice rides.

Afternoons will indeed become crowded- its Disneyland!!

Have a grand time in August and a safe return!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holidays in August

I live an hour away from Disneyland and visit every year during August, usually the second Saturday. It is crowded every day during the summer, but usually less so in August than July. (I have also done July.) If you are staying in Los Angeles, it is actually better to visit on a Saturday or Sunday because of freeway traffic during the week. This is one of the reasons I like to go to DL on Saturdays! (The other reason is the Jump, Jive, Boogie and Swing parties - swing dancing in the Plaza Gardens near the Castle- but that also happens on Fridays.)

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holidays in August

We were just in Disneyland a few weeks ago. We went after the holidays, stayed at the Grand Californian for 2 nights(on 2 weeknights not weekends) and it was still crowded. I don't know when it's ever not crowded. Luckily for this trip, we knew someone who was able to get us a front of the line pass for all the rides.

I think anytime during the summer it will be busy. I agree with everyone's advice, go early morning, by afternoon it will be crowded. If you can, you might want to stay at one of the Disney resorts as they let guests go inside the parks an hour before the general public.

5. Re: Holidays in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 19:19
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now