We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

Omsk, Russia
1 post
Save Topic
how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

Hello. I'm a student and I'm going to CA this summer. Could anybody help or give a piece of advice what is the best way to find a job in Los Gatos.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

I'm not familiar with Los Gatos, but I suspect it doesn't matter really. To find a job, student or otherwise, get a local newspaper, read the classified section, look for the word employment or jobs. Go to the place of business, complete an application for employment. If you're not familiar with them, i.e. filling one out, it is pretty much standard information. Name, address, phone number, references (people's name, address, phone number) these are folks who you've either worked for and or are acquainted with. Prior work experience and education and skills and interests.

If you don't want to use a the newspaper classifieds, walk down the street and look for "help wanted" signs. Or use the telephone book and call different establishments, find out where their employment office is and again, go fill out an application for employment. Be aware you will need identification to be employed as well.

Good Luck to you.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

Los Gatos is close to San Jose and the Silicon Valley area. So if the local listings for Los Gatos seem limited, check other sources for San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, or "Silicon Valley."

Where will you be staying, and will you have a car or not? Some jobs may be less practical for you if you need to depend on public transit.

Los Gatos
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

I've lived in the area many years and am very familiar with Los Gatos. It is expensive to live in and it is a tourist town during the summer. There are many bars and restaurants as well as shops. It depends on what kind of job you are looking for as well. I suspect that jobs will become very scarce during the summer because of local students looking for jobs. I would look in Careerbuilder or Monster Jobs for Los Gatos, Saratoga and Campbell. You can also google Los Gatos jobs and see what comes up. Hopefully you have a place to live lined-up. There is a great deal of foreign exchance student activity in the area.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

also check www.craigslist.com for jobs in the area

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

If your spoken English is good enough try to get a job waiting tables at one of the many upscale restaurants. You can make really good money and meet lots of fun people. Serving drinks at one of the bars is the same, big money, good hours etc.. Click on the Los Gatos Restaurants tab to the left and see if you can e-mail them now of your intentions. By the way I spent 31 days in Moscow. It was quite an adventure. My kids are Russian.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

I am currently "hosting" two Russian students for the summer both from Tyumen, Russia. I am a business owner and they found me by searching the web. They emailed me asking if I would consider them for summer employment and attached their resume. When I responded that I would take it under consideration, they called me so that I could hear that they did speak English well.

You could do the same. Look for independently owned businesses (not chain) if looking for restaurant jobs. These, especially in touristy areas, will be more open to hiring someone from out of the country for summer employment. Do searches of the area. I don't know Los Gatos so maybe someone can tell you which area is the touristy area. Assuming you need to verify employment to get your Visa..(my girls did) if you are having a hard time, try hotels too..chains are fine.

Remember, you do have to get an Social Security Card. But you can tell the owner that they do not have to deduct Social Security money from your paycheck because of your situation...assuming..you are going to only be here a few months. because you will not collect it when you retire...This saves the business owner money. I learned this from the social security office.

Are you using an student interexchange company?

Be a hard worker and smile. One of mine is great, the other is not and I am disappointed. I will not accept her for next year should she ask.

Tidbits, they found their rooms to rent on craigslist.com They had written via email and then called once here to look at the places. Some people said NO to foreigners right away or some want long term leases.They got Singular cell phones for local calls and applied for a credit card (this I do not understand) They came with 1 1/2 months worth of money but they underestimated how much they needed. The had no luggage only a backpack and carry-on. One brought a laptop so made sure that the rooms they rented from had Internet connections. One has an international drivers license . They grossly underestimated our bus system.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

correction

They both OVERestimated our bus system.

8. Re: how can a russian girl find a job in Los Gatos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Los Gatos