We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better wineries?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Better wineries?

I am visiting the Valley in the new year.

My girlfriend and I are only around for a day and a half and I have a big list of things we're going to try and get done. Among these things is a some wine tasting. I think we can get to two tasting rooms.

Now, I don't drink and my girlfriend isn't a connoisseur, so we are really looking for tasting rooms that give a real feel of wine country rather than necessarily offering good wines.

We are definitely looking to visit Fess Parker, predominately for its 'Sideways' connection. I have done some research into what our 'other' winery should be and so far I'm interested in Sunstone.

Can anyone give suggestions of anywhere better? Quainter? More rural? Prettier? Smaller? Less busy? More friendly? Basically, somewhere we will get a quintessential wine-tasting experience.

Thank you.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better wineries?

Los Olivos is pretty quaint and sweet. We had a wonderful lunch on the patio at Los Olivos Cafe. There is a large wine store and possibly a tasting room behind the restaurant.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better wineries?

LDN,

Most of us click on the entire California forum and scroll down the list, to see if we can help, rather than go to a an individual forum like Los Olivos.

I see all four of your wine inquiries. Fess Parker is a good choice. You'll have a nice day visiting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better wineries?

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I post in any forum that comes under the umbrella of California it shows up in the California list?

If that is the case then no-one replied to my first posting of this question, which was through the Santa Ynez board. While I'm happier with getting no replies than ones that don't answer my question (something that happens a lot) I decided to increase my chances of getting a reply by posting in different lists.

And I'm still looking for answers here...

Thanks.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better wineries?

Yes, when you post in any individual board under the umbrella of California it shows up on that State board. Click CA under this post and you will see everything listed in the order of latest post.

If you don't get answers, it's usually that no one can help you for the actual question, or it's a busy time of year.

You probably find that on the London boards too, you just don't know the answer to everything.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better wineries?

I've heard really good things about Sunstone. It should definitely be on your list.

I don't know how "quaint, rural, prettier", etc. it is, but I love the wines from Foxen Winery out on Foxen Canyon Road. I became familiar with their wine at a barrel tasting in Avila Beach and through a former neighbor who works there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better wineries?

I don't suppose I'd know the answers on the London board most of the time!

Whilst I appreciate it is a busy time of year I'm also aware that the forums I'm posting to have very few new postings, to the extent that some have ones I posted two months ago as the most recent. I'm working on the assumption that they will still be there waiting for people when they get around to logging on.

Appreciate the affirmation of Sunstone, Kibblesmom. Like I said, we won't be going for the wine, just the 'quaint, rural, pretty' thing, but I will check out Foxen Winery to see whether it fits the bill.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better wineries?

LDN

Here's a link to the more rural wineries near Los Olivos/Santa Ynez:

http://www.foxencanyonwinetrail.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better wineries?

Thanks. Gives me a lot to look at.

Foxen looks great and has made me realise I can take Foxen Canyon Road all the way from Santa Maria and Guadalupe where I'm coming from, which looks a lot more interesting that sticking on the 101.

Santa Ynez Valley
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Better wineries?

Just posted to your question under the Santa Ynez Forum....but to summarize, my choice would be Rancho Sisquoc....

10. Re: Better wineries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:19