We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best camping with bike trails

Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
best camping with bike trails

We will be spending 2-3 days in the Kananaskis area in July and will be camping (tenting). We want to do some biking as well and are wondering which park/campgrounds have access to the best biking trails. We are looking for easy to moderate bike trails. Thanks for any info!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best camping with bike trails

Check out Mt. Kidd. When I drive past there, I keep noticing paved bike trails crossing the highway.

"Best?" Who knows.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best camping with bike trails

Are you looking for paved trails only?

I think Mount Kidd is more geared to the RV crowd than tenters, but there are some other campgrounds around there. I believe there are some easy biking trails in the Kananaskis Lakes area (where there are several campgrounds).

Another option would be the Little Elbow area (at the end of highway 66). There is a campground there and some fairly level (but unpaved) trails.

Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best camping with bike trails

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best camping with bike trails

I would suggest down in Peter Lougheed Park which is within Kananaskis country. There are a number of campgrounds that have easy access to paved and dirt/gravel bike trails. If memory serves, the paved trails are about 11 kilometers long, I think the paved trails stretch from the visitor centre which is just inside the park all the way to upper & lower Kananaskis Lakes.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best camping with bike trails

here is a link: kananaskiscountrycampgrounds.com/peter.html

Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best camping with bike trails

Thanks chipin............. that looks like what we are seeking.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best camping with bike trails

It can get booked up on weekends. If arriving on a Friday or Saturday I would suggest you choose a campground you can reserve (Elkwood or Boulton) or show up real early on the Friday. Arriving on a Saturday without a reservation is probably not a good idea. I would avoid the "Canyon" campground. It's prety much a big open area. Can't really go wrong with any of the other ones.

Calgary
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best camping with bike trails

If your planning on using 2 or more tents I would avoid Kananaskis as its a rip off due to their poor fee structure. A site costs $20/night but you can only have one tent. If you want a second tent on the same site it costs an additional $18/night. So for 2 people if you each want your own tent it costs $38/night at a campground with no services. Wood is extra. Meanwhile there are 50 foot RV"s which 6 people staying in them and they only pay $20 for the same site? We are taking up less space, have less people, and produce less pollution, yet we should pay twice as much? It really doesn't seem very fair. So for that reason I tend to avoid Kananaskis. Its not a lot of money, I guess, just more the principle.

Calgary
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best camping with bike trails

If your planning on using 2 or more tents I would avoid Kananaskis as its a rip off due to their poor fee structure. A site costs $20/night but you can only have one tent. If you want a second tent on the same site it costs an additional $18/night. So for 2 people if you each want your own tent it costs $38/night at a campground with no services. Wood is extra. Meanwhile there are 50 foot RV"s which 6 people staying in them and they only pay $20 for the same site? We are taking up less space, have less people, and produce less pollution, yet we should pay twice as much? It really doesn't seem very fair. So for that reason I tend to avoid Kananaskis. Its not a lot of money, I guess, just more the principle.

10. Re: best camping with bike trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kananaskis Country