We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hills or the Beach, still undecided.

Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
The Hills or the Beach, still undecided.

Recieved some really great input yesterday, and we leave tomorrow, but still can't decide what makes more sense for us. We love the beach and we love the notariaty of the Hollywood scene. We want some sun, and outdoor activity, maybe rent a bike or rollerblades, and swim, but have heard it can be pretty chilly right on the beach for sunbathing, and that a hotel inland, maybe a rooftop pool in Hollywood would be warmer for that. We don't like being cold while swimming. My 16 year old love shows like the 'Hills" and would like to shop, window shop in the "upscale" shops, but also want to actually BUY some things in some affordable shops, and some abercrombie type stores. We love trying cool restaurants, but again something affordable as well. We already booked the convertable, so we can go to whatever place we don't actually stay in. Can we find public parking at Santa Monica Beach, or Pier, and vice versa can we find public parking in Hollywood? I have got to book a place today. Any final advice?

Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hills or the Beach, still undecided.

had luch a couple of weeks ago at the W hotel in westwood. the pool is "the" place to be seen. can't tell you about the rates but it is a great location for wandering thru ucla and westwood....close enough for a drive to the beach or bev hills.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hills or the Beach, still undecided.

sorry, not going to give you advice on where to stay but wanted to tell you that Hollister is owned by Abercrombie and is much cheaper. My teen daughters love this store.

Also, I have to brag that last summer, that some of the cast of the Hills was hanging out at the beach by my house. I had no idea who they were but my teenage son and daughter did and they hung out with them for a while. They said they not only were "cool" but "normal".

Have fun.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hills or the Beach, still undecided.

The ocean water is cold (though not MN cold!). I was just at the beach today in Malibu and there were plenty of sunbathers.

As far as parking goes, there's public parking everywhere in LA...everyone drives!

Based on your interests, I'd stay in Hollywood for shopping and dining, and drive to Venice/Santa Monica/Malibu for rollerblading and biking.

4. Re: The Hills or the Beach, still undecided.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Malibu