We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

Which Malibu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

Firstly, anyone know why Gladstone's doesn't appear to be on Tripadvisor, even though people have mentioned it often enough in forum posts?

I have searched up and everyway to no avail. Their website doesn't give prices, and I'd like to know how expensive it is.

Okay, so I thought - maybe we'll try Dukes. So I read those reviews, many of which seem to be not very good at all. Also, one of the shining reviews would appear to be for a Dukes in Hawaii [“Repeat Visits a MUST”] - or is this merely because the restaurant has a Hawaiian theme.....I am confuzzled. At least the Duks website have prices on their menus.

Please help!!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

Here is the link on TripAdvisor for Gladstones

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32655-d19…

Both Dukes and Gladstones are okay food/service wise - but all about location and relaxation. Both places are overpriced - but you are paying for the views.

I personally like gladstone's food a bit better - but Dukes is more fun.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,023 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

I prefer Duke's waaaay over Gladstones. Gladstones is a tourist trap, and at least Duke's is laid back, fun, attracts locals. These aren't restaurants you go to for the food, but for the view. With Duke's the key is to eat at the Barefoot Bar, not in the restaurant.

Moonshadows and even Charthouse have better food. Go to chowhound.com for recommendations on ocean view restaurants, and for more opinions.

http://www.gladstones.com/

www.moonshadowsmalibu.com

http://www.chart-house.com/menu.html

www.dukesmalibu.com/

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
587 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

I second that. If you're choosing between Gladstone's and Duke's pick Duke's for sure. Gladstone's is ridiculously over priced. I mean, I don't mind spending a lot of money when the food is great, but at Gladstone's you just get really big portions of mediocre food.

Duke's has the same view, or maybe a bit prettier, the ambiance inside is nicer (not that much different, but nicer), and doesn't feel so grungy. I've only ever been there for Sunday brunch, which I highly recommend. But if their buffet food is good, I'm pretty darn sure ordering off the menu would be even better.

Malibu
Level Contributor
81 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

Oh My! there are so many better places. Are you looking for fun? Sun? Drinks? Moonshadows is a cute place on the water and rocks at night. Malibu Inn is rustic good bar food and great cocktails. Live bands at night. Guidos is a cool place for dinner. Casa Escober is a nice mexican alternative all better than the ultra touristy Gladstones.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

I think Moonshadows is the best place by far, especially if you are visiting. Beautiful views and some serious people watching is included in the price of admission(which is free)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

Okay - as long as we're all admitting that the restaurants on the shore are more about hanging at the beach and less about the food... I recommend you go a bit further up the coast to Paradise Cove and have lunch at the Beach Cafe. Quiet location, right on the sand, lots of TV and movie shoot history, very Malibu.

www.paradisecove.org

If it's a memorable food experience you want, head for Geofrey's. But be sure you have plenty of headroom on your credit card :-)

http://www.geoffreysmalibu.com/

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

Some great suggestions - I obviously have to do further research!

Thanks everyone :-)

8. Re: Gladstone's & Dukes - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 10:20