We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Beach!!??

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Topic
Which Beach!!??

There are so many beaches to choose from that I cannot decide which one to go to. Here is my situtaion: I have 1 day to kill. I want a lively, fun beach (i.e. - not secluded), with lots of things going on and easy parking. Can people please respond with their favorites and reasons why (and which ones they don't want, and why). Thanks,

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Beach!!??

For "lots of things going on" try the area right by the Santa Monica pier which is south of Malibu.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Beach!!??

Our beaches are not like Europe or other countries. There are no bars on the beach (not even cafes with umbrellas), there's no party atmosphere, no d.j.'s, no chaise lounges for rent. We have an enormous stretch of beach, you'll see people up and down the coast, but there's nothing particularly lively.

You might enjoy just going to Malibu Surfrider beach, watch the surfers at the famous surf spot.

Just south of the Pier, as mentioned above, in Santa Monica, you'll find lots of activity (and even a bar on the bike path).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Beach!!??

What about Zuma Beach (…about.com/od/calamenu/p/beach_zuma.htm)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Beach!!??

Venice and Santa Monica pier are the only beaches close to Malibu with the kind of atmosphere you describe.

Malibu is almost entirely seluded, sedate, and the few restaurants that offer oceanside walks and views are fairly far apart from each other, some are far from the water, and none has many "things to do" nearby, no gift shops (except inside the restaurant), no people passing by, just a parking lot for each.

All of the beaches north of Malibu until you get to Santa Barbara are fairly secluded, with the possible exception of San Buenaventura Beach (the Pier) in Ventura, which does have yellow umbrellas for rent, a bar on the pier, chaise lounges and bikes to rent - but it's nothing like Malibu or Santa Monica and is very quiet in comparison to Sta Monica.

I think you're looking for Venice Beach, personally.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Beach!!??

There are lots of great beaches all up and down the coast-- though, as Yokachick pointed out, they don't tend to be lively once you are on the sand.

Can you tell us where you will be starting from, or where you will be staying? Because you can drive 1/2 hour, or 3 hours, to the beach...and it isn't worth it. The best beach tends to be the one nearest you! Tell us where you are, and we can give you a good suggestion that cuts the driving down to a minimum.

6. Re: Which Beach!!??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Malibu