We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica and Malibu

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica and Malibu

Is it a bad drive from santa monica to malibu? what is there to do in malibu? where would anyone suggest we eat lunch?

we also want to go to the Getty Museum and the getty Villa? is it worth our time to do?

thanks

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

Malibu and Santa Monica are somewhat adjacent, but Malibu is also a 27 mile long city, so where you go specifically determines how long it will take. The things to see in Malibu are the beach, Mailbu Pier, Pepperdine University, the Getty Villa and maybe the Malibu Lagoon and Estuary. Lots of restaurants in the city.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

thank you

where do you recommend to eat lunch? we are looking to go to the Getty Villa and then we don't know what else. Thanks for the suggestions of Pepperdine, pier, etc

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

is there anywhere you can walk the beach and look at hte nice houses along it?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

I'd consider the Chart House, it is close to the Getty. I'd also look at Duke's Malibu and the Reel Inn.

As to walking on the beach, it is hard because parking is the key and there isn't much beach in some places and other places the homeowners have security guards to try and intimidate looky Lou's.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

In Malibu, head to the Country Mart and take your choice of many great restaurants for lunch (Tra di Noi, Howdys, John's Garden, etc). Walk afterward over to the Pier and then walk south to see the gorgeous homes along Carbon Beach (when looking at the ocean, head to the left). There are no guards, there's no intimidation, and it's called billionaires row. Beautiful homes and beautiful walk.

Read here;

…oyster.com/daytrip-from-los-angeles-surfrid…

Edited: 16 July 2012, 04:21
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

To get to the Malibu Country Mart you have to go past the Getty Villa 8 miles or so and then back track to the Getty Villa another 8 miles.

Also you usually can not access all of Carbon Beach usually because of the tides. And even though David Geffen lost the legal battle to actually keep people off the beach, several of the celebs there still employ security guards to try and intimidate people away.

malibu
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

I agree with Yogachik, you'll be fine walking the beach at Carbon - no guards, no intimidation. However, if you go when it's a very high tide, you won't be able to walk the beach.

You can also do lunch at the Malibu Inn across the street from pier.

And I wouldn't bother with Malibu Lagoon since it's currently a construction / destruction site.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

what about paradise beach please?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,840 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

What do you mean by bad drive? It's gorgeous and easy. Getty Villa is on the way, but you need a reservation. Have lunch there or in Malibu at Nobu or Dukes or at the Country Mart.

When is your trip?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santa Monica and Malibu

I suspect you mean Paradise Cove which, IMHO, is something of a tourist trap - they charge you an arm and a leg to park and then you can go onto the beach. There's a decent but overpriced restaurant there and they also serve food from food stands on the beach. For beaches, I'd try Zuma. For lunch, you've gotten lots of good suggestions above.