We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

San Gabriel...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Hi knowledgeable people of the internet, I am planning my first road trip and was wondering if this was doable for the labor day weekend coming up.

Sorry that my itinerary looks like a mess up I was wondering if anyone could possibly offer any advice at all for my first road trip ever that I am planning on going on with my girlfriend.

Any ideas on what I can do or fit in or tweak or save money on would all be extremely appreciated!

I know its a horrible rough draft but I am a wreck when it comes to planning and kind of like to keep my days more spontaneous but as the lady would want it I should probably plan a bit more.

I think me and my girl are more outdoorsy ppl and really love the beach, hiking, sunsets, and nature and artsy stuff of the sorts. Also obviously the girl likes to shop but let's keep that to a minimum haha.

DAY 1 (SATURDAY)

4 am: wake the up!! ON TIME

Drive 4 hours to 750 Hearst Castle Road, San Simeon, CA 93452, 805 927 2020

9 or 910 am : go to hearst castle GRAND ROOM TOUR ($25)

45 min tour, then 40 min movie, then 40 min to walk around plus 15 min tram down

11:30 to find a place and eat lunch or make our own

12:30 Museum of Natural History ($3 for adults)

Morro Bay National Estuary: bird watching and kayaking

Morro Rock

Morro Bay State Park (Black Hill Trail: 3 miles)

Morro Strand State Beach

sat night:

AirBnb: Sleep at Santa Maria: Gingerbread House Charm (saturday night check in is after 5 pm)

349 El Cerrito

Santa Maria, CA 93455

United States

Monica Hawes

+1 805 478 8459

monica-ohvu6xqtq66jwbo0@host.airbnb.com

DAY2: (SUNDAY)

Go to Solvang, and wine tastings and maybe some santa barbara activities

Santa Barbara Museum of Art(free on sundays)

Stearns Wharf

Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara, California

Parking on Stearns Wharf is free for the first 75 minutes. Walk around the pier, take a walk or ride your bike up the paved beach path that winds between Santa Barbara's famous palm trees

Santa Barbara Botanic Garden: 8 dollars with student ID

Santa Barbara Arts and Crafts Show:

http://www.sbartsandcraftsshow.com

We experienced the true culture of this beach town by strolling the free arts and crafts show held every Sunday. Hundreds of artists from the area had their goods on display (everything from paintings and jewelry to belts and toys). Several photos and paintings showing the Spanish heritage of the town caught my eye.

Drink Blenders: cool meal replacement

if there are:

elephant seals and cherry pickings are maybe around the area then we will try to fit these in,

then go to OJAI outdoor natural free hot springs

(dno what else to do in ojai)

camp at malibu canyon creek (bring tent) OR campground next to the beach

DAY3: (MON)

free for all malibu stuff to do or wherever else to go

check out castro motorway

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! and of course thanks in advance for being so kind and of so much help!

-Much Obliged,

is the weary planner hoping to become a seasoned traveler such as yourselves

-E-man

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Hi, sounds like a fun trip. On the Hearst Castle tour, plan on seeing the film first before your tour. It will make the tour much more interesting knowing the history beforehand. The film takes about 45 minutes, and you have 15 minutes after that to get to your bus. It's all right there...it iwll take you 3 minutes to walk from the theatre to the bus line. Right across the street from the Hearst Castle entrance is San Sebastion's general store. it's a great place to have lunch and a glass of wine. You can search the internet about it and read. Food is great, although you have to stand in line to order your food (but can order some wine from the western type bar inside) while you stand. Eating is outdoors with the gorgeous scenery and some horses.

Malibu. When we were there one thing I didn't get to do was go to the Malibu country mart. Wish I had. Malibu is just 15 minutes from Santa Monica. There is more to do there during the day, I would suggest you do that.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Why an Airbnb in Santa Maria? That address is a very plain-Jane residential neighborhood which is actually in Orcutt, the somewhat nicer bedroom community adjacent to Santa Maria. There's really nothing going on in Santa Maria, and it's not a desirable stop for most tourists. Although I've never had any trouble in Santa Maria, many people would advise against trying to go out there at night, except for the strip of chain fast food places along Highway 101. You'd find much more to do, better restaurants and nicer/safer surroundings in towns like Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 14:20
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Have you secured your reservation to camp in Malibu?

reserveamerica.com/camping/…

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Check out the Getty Villa. Admission is free but reservations are required. http://www.getty.edu/visit/villa/

San Gabriel...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Ahh yes as I am from LA, santa monica is an all too familiar cesspool of disease and pollution. If you ever stop by that area again go to Venice which is right next to it or Huntington beach instead. Also I will definitely keep in mind the two marts...May I happen to ask what the appeal is for the shops?

San Gabriel...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Also I have already booked the plain Jane crapshoot of a house but it DOES have a hot tub which I hope to be making use of...I mean its still not too far from Orcutt or SLO right? dern.....

And oh man I have NOT made my reservation thats actually a big help! haha would anyone recommend beach camping over state park camping? And i heard firewood is 7 bux somewhere around there maybe?

And the Getty Villa how long beforehand would I have to make reservations?

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD!

San Gabriel...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

How much time should we alot for the Getty Villa?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

We visited Getty Villa on a Friday in September. I made the reservation about a week ahead when I got the itinerary sorted. We spent a couple of hours there not including a 20 minute lunch break. Could've happily spent longer but we had to move on to Santa Barbara for a dinner engagement.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 20:24
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

Why not spend longer on the central coast? Santa Barbara, SB Wine Country, Pismo, etc.

All that Malibu stuff, including the Getty, is such an easy day trip from San Gabriel. IF you do it on the weekend.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first road trip ever : hoping for any advice at all

"I mean its still not too far from Orcutt or SLO right? dern....."

The address is in Orcutt, but there's very little of interest to a tourist in Orcutt. It's a bedroom community with strip malls. SLO is half an hour away, but there are plenty of inexpensive places to stay much nearer SLO. Most people who live around here would not consider Orcutt or Santa Maria a wise choice for a nice, romantic stay.

Get answers to your questions about Malibu