We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

San Diego
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

we are going to Manhattan Beach from San Diego to visit some friends, and I recall seeing a Metrolink or something near the freeway. I think Oceanside has a metrolink connection. Does anyone know a way to do this?

I don't want to drive up there since we won't need our car and parking in Manhattan Beach really sucks.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

Both the Metrolink and Amtrak trains from San Diego go to Union Station in downtown Los Angeles.

If you want to use the train then you would need to transfer to the Flyaway bus which takes you to the LAX Airport then have your friends pick you up or take another bus or taxi to Manhattan beach.

Also, from Uniton Station you can take the Blue Line towards Long Beach then transfer to Green Line which takes you towards Manhattan Beach.

I don't think that the train is a good option for you considering where your destination is located in the city and the number of train changes.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

Theoretically, you can get from Union Station to Manhattan Beach by getting on the Red Line to the Blue Line to the Green Line. I did it in the reverse 9 years ago for a trip down to San Diego. It took about an hour, but drops you nearby (the stations are actually in El Segundo & Redondo Beach.

San Diego
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

thanks a lot for the info,

Looks like we'll be driving up haha

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,489 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

If you are driving, and going to the beach, forget about parking right at the pier on a weekend in summer.

We go right to Lot M, it's a huge underground parking lot a few blocks from the Pier.

…manhattan-beach.ca.us/Modules/…

Good luck!

5. Re: Trains from San Diego to Manhattan Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach