We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

Which Manhattan Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

Hi,

I will be doing the loong drive to the south rim Tuesday 8th September (day after labor day).

How early should we leave MB to avoid nightmare L.A traffic? is 6am early enough?

Also roughly how long should this drive take, i'm working on it taking 8hrs'ish..does that sound right?

Many Thanks.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

We always drove out and spent the night in Las Vegas, and then headed to the Grand Canyon the next morning from MB. However, I'd say that it would be an 8 hour drive and a long 500 miles by going straight through Needles, etc, when you turn on the 40 from Barstow.

I'd leave MB no later than 6 am. I'd also suggest starting out east on the 105 freeway in El Segundo, as all the traffic is coming west toward LAX. At the 605 head north to the 10 toward San Bernardino (you miss the downtown LA traffic) and the 15 toward Barstow/Las Vegas.

Have a good trip. It will be really hot in Sept. so carry water during the drive, to keep hydrated.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

Yes,figure 8-9 hours with stops.Avoid buying gas in Needles,it is pricy.Wait to get to the AZ side.

Have a good trip.

London, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

thanks for the confirmation chaps.

I would rather go via Vegas, but my partner hates the place LOL.

Its our only really long drive of our 2 week holiday, but we have 2 nights at GC to chill and recover.

if we get out of la quicker than expected, we may go through oatman and see a bit of r66..

Bullhead City, Az.
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

Why not spend the night in Laughlin? Close to Oatman and cheaper gas. Then over the hill to Kingman and I-40 to the GC.

London, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

decided to drive to vegas for the night, then head to GC from there following morning.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

If you change your mind again, maybe consider the detour via Oatman and Sitgreaves pass at least takes a couple of extra hours. Nice drive though...

Tet

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

"decided to drive to vegas for the night"

I think you will be much happier with this change. Good luck.

London, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

thanks canative,and all the others who have given me advice so far!

I am actually now staying at the universal hilton for 2 nights and then driving to vegas for 1 night, before heading to the south rim.

Not a huge fan of vegas, neither is my partner, but I just want to see the volcano and waterfalls lol, also interested in seeing the hoover damn.

I would much rather stay in MB, looks a lovely area, but only having 2 nights in LA I need somewhere a bit more central. Being labor day weekend I imagine the beaches will be busier too, so we'r having a 'beach free' holiday unfortunatly.

Also leaving from vegas gives us a bit more time on the journey to pick up a little R66 (kingman to seligman), just to say i'v driven R66 lol.

Bullhead City, Az.
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

Thank-you for picking MB and "the colonies" for your hoilday. You will have a great time, and countryside that I do'nt think you have back home.

10. Re: Manhattan Beach to Grand Canyon (south rim)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach