We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we get by without a car... 2N Residence Inn Marriott

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can we get by without a car... 2N Residence Inn Marriott

Hi everyone

After much research (head's aching), I've booked our last 2 nights at the Residence Inn before flying back to Australia.

I'm travelling with my 73 year old (fitish) mother and 3 children. This is the last 2 nights of our 28 day holiday (predominately on the East Coast).

We really wouldn't be venturing far probably only Venice Beach and Santa Monica. We are staying in Hollywood for our first 2 nights before flying over to New York. My mum and I have been to LA/Anaheim/Santa Monica before.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of renting a car but was wondering if we could get by without one... Or should I cancel my booking with the Residence Inn and pay more and stay at the Sea View Hotel?

Thank you :)

Bronwyn

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
New York
New York
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can we get by without a car... 2N Residence Inn Marriott

hey brisvegas

we too are from australia and travelled the US east and est coast 3 years ago with 2 kids

we had cars in LA and also in florida

However, I was a complete nervous wreck in the car in LA and I wasnt even driving! lol Hubby was!! OMG it is absolutley unbelievable the traffic and the freeways, nothing like we have hear. If you are feeling nervous about it now, dont even contemplate driving in LA. My husband did, as he had too, and hes a car bloke, but he said it was completely nerve wracking for him too!! lol

Driving in Florida was easy (although again I took the easy option and was the passenger !)

We are returning to LA in 7 weeks time for business, and will be based in LA for 9 days, and once again getting a car, and once again I will not be driving!

I hope that gives you some insight :-)

Book a place with good surrounding areas you can walk or transport and have a stress free end of trip. I know how tired you will be too after a long trip so you wont want the headache of navigating traffic and so on

good luck

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Florida
Florida
United States
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Can we get by without a car... 2N Residence Inn Marriott

Hi blondelinda

Thank you for your message :)

My thoughts exactly... There would be no way that I could even drive in Melbourne, lol

I've dropped Baltimore from our trip and added the 2 days to the end and after a family vote we are staying at Anaheim for 4 nights at the HoJo and will do Disney.

Have a great trip!

Bronwyn

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can we get by without a car... 2N Residence Inn Marriott

Maybe you could consider Cape Cod and Newport, Rhode Island?

New York will be very hot.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
New York
New York
United States
14. Re: Can we get by without a car... 2N Residence Inn Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2012, 04:35
Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach