We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan Beach or ?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan Beach or ?

I visited LA about 12 years ago and chose to stay in the Manhattan Beach (MB) area basically just on a whim. I was traveling on my own and was really glad I picked MB. Of course I did all the touristy things in LA but I spend a lot of time on Manhattan Beach and Hermosa. It seems like at the time it was easier to find a hotel in Manhattan Beach as opposed to Hermosa or Redondo. I actually went twice, 2000 and 2001. Loved it.

Now I'm about to head back with a friend of mine (two bachelors) and I'm wondering if we should still try to stay in that area. One of the things that worries me is that I do not remember many hotels on or near the beach in the Manhattan Beach area or Hermosa either, so that is a negative for us.

If someone wants to stay on the beach on a visit to LA, what part of town do you go too?

I know I'm posting this on the Manhattan Beach forum, but I'm hoping someone will give me honest advice about the question. I guess I may post in the Los Angeles forum also.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

I would check out Huntington Beach as two "guys"...

www.surfcityusa.com

Manhattan Beach is nice, but for a change of pace....

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,332 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

Also look into Santa Monica. Lots of fantastic restaurants, bars and activity.

What's your budget per night?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,489 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

Glad to hear MB made such a fine impression on you. Our closest hotels about a block up from the water with balcony views of the ocean and sunsets are The Sea View Inn which lends out bikes and beach chairs, boogie boards, towels for your stay. The 22 mile bike path goes in either direction from the hotel along the Strand.

The Shade Hotel about a mile south in MB is right up from the beautiful pier and also among shops and restaurants. There are some great dining establishments since your last visit, but MB still has it's charm.

In Hermosa Beach you have the choice of the Beach House near the base of their pier. The 2 piers are 2 miles apart and fun to walk the Strand or ride bikes

No worry, this is posted on the CA forum for everyone to see. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 04:40
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

Also, look at Venice Beach. A couple of choices come to mind:

1. The Hotel Erwin if you don't mind splurging: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d81170-R…

2. The Inn at Marina del Rey which is just steps from the Pier in Venice Beach: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32684-d84219-R…

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

Thanks everyone for helping out.

Yogachick, I'm sure we are looking for a Hotel of about 8 stars on a scale of 1 to 10. I would say our budget is not more than $300/ night.

I did visit Santa Monica the last time but not the beach. But I distinctly remember many homeless people sleeping on the grass. Not very appealing. I do remember going to some bars in Santa Monica on that main roadway and had a good time. Maybe the people sleeping on the grass had a good time too. :)

But also, I didn't see any hotels near the beach in Santa Monica either. Everything is just so big and spread out it's hard to see. Advice on hotels there would be appreciated also.

Huntingbeach looks nice too! Thank you for the link. I visited Seal Beach just to hang out for a while. I'm a Cardinals Fan, and Mark McGwire was always wearing that Seal Beach hat.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

The Beach House in Hermosa looks great. I'm can't find it listed on Trip Advisor though?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

The Beach House is great, here is their link in TA.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32490-d83980-R…

You also might look at Newport Beach in Orange County and Pacific Beach in San Diego, look at Pacific Terrace and Tower23.

http://www.pacificterrace.com/

http://www.t23hotel.com/

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

Thank you!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

Hey guys I'm back. Trip is October 10-15.

The Beach House Hermosa was what we thought was the fantastic spot. I was getting ready to make reservations until I found out they only have king size beds and a sleeper sofa. That will not work. Got to have two queen size beds.

Is there any other place set up like The Beach House that no-one has mentioned? Hotel Erwin and the Shade Hotel look like possibilities, but the Beach House seemed more our style.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,489 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan Beach or ?

You can't beat the Beach House in Hermosa Beach for being right across the sand. I'd just take turns with the King Bed, and the next night the sofa bed. The Shade Hotel also just has only a King Bed, no sofa.

Did you look at the Sea View Inn in MB, you might want to reconsider so that you would each have your own room.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

They have a simple 2 bed Penthouse Suite with a Queen in each, and a private deck with panoramic ocean view, where you can have morning coffee or watch the sunset at night. Free use of their strand cruiser bikes, free parking and about a block up from the water, for $250 a night. You will be right in the middle of shops and restaurants/pubs.

If you are interested in nightlife, here is a list from PubClub:

www.pubclub.com/losangeles/manhattan.htm

Sunsets from MB:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach