We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Hi all,

Sorry to pop up again asking questions about LA/ surrounding areas hotels, I'm still looking and researching so I've got a short list when we book in the week or 2.

I'm looking at various locations from Hollywood, Downtown LA, B.Hills, Santa Monica etc for our last 3 nights of or road trip next September.

From a previous thread at the weekend Scottca075 suggested manhattan Beach area along with Santa Monica as nice places to stay.

I have just found this excellent deal for Manhattan Beach Marriot @ 149 USD per night

Does anyone recommend / not recommend this hotel??

We'll have a car so have checked distance to Hollywood and main tourist parts and the drive (about 30 mins without traffic) is ok

Thanks

Anne

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,438 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

I like the Manhattan Beach Marriott a lot, but it isn't in the section of Manhattan Beach I'd recommend as a vacation spot.

Its good points are it is a great hotel, the pool is along a golf course and you can walk to some nice restaurants, movie theaters and shops, but it isn't the village area of Manhattan Beach, which is where the charm is. But then charm almost always costs more :)

If the price is right and you understand the tradeoffs in the location, it is a good spot. Look at the map below and you can get an idea of where it is and then zoom out and you can see where it is in relation to the village. Given my druthers, I'd be at the Sea View Inn down by the beach.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Thanks Scott,

Can't see a map?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,438 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Ooops, here it be.

http://goo.gl/maps/PxSRU

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Ditto what Scott said.

Most of my out of town work colleagues choose the Marriott when on business travel. They like its proximity to restaurants, jogging trail, and the freeways and the view of the golf course. A few co-workers will sacrifice commute time and choose to stay in Redondo Beach (King Harbor) to be near the ocean. The big bosses get to stay at Shade, which is expensive. For vacation I agree with the Sea View Inn suggestion.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

It is a very nice hotel, and it does have the adjoining golf course. The location is pretty good for medium distance walks to a good assortment of restaurants and its next to two decent sized shopping centers - the Manhattan Beach Village mall and Plaza El Segundo. Its in a nice area that's mostly shops and medium sized office buildings, but its not really in the beach section of Manhattan Beach which is where most people who suggest Manhattan Beach as a place to stay are referring to. The 405 freeway is not too far. Bottom line, nice hotel and that's a good price, but you're trading those things for being a bit further away from most of the tourist attractions than you would be in other places you could stay - not a deal breaker with a car, but a bit more inconvenient. I think the key is, as you mentioned "30 minutes to Hollywood (without traffic)" is that to realize that in LA "without traffic" is almost never the case, so it can take a lot longer. Peak traffic is on weekdays from 7-9AM and 4-7PM but even at other times especially on the freeaways traffic can be bad.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 18:50
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Thanks all, sea view lovely location but not sure about hotel, seems dated .

So, how about the Belamar?. I know not close to beach but again, , looks nice and decent rate. I'd prefer a nicer hotel without the sea view to be honest

What are your expert thoughts?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

The Belamar is nice but like the Marriott, it's not in the 'beachy' area of Manhattan Beach. If I stayed at the beach, I'd want to be able to walk to the ocean; otherwise, why stay so far away from Los Angeles?

As far as the look of the Sea View Inn is concerned. I understand completely that the place is not the most appealing. But, it's not that it's in poor condition; it's just that they don't put a big emphasis on modernizing (which is why the price is so reasonable for a hotel that is within an easy walk to the waves).

In some respects, the fact that the hotel doesn't modernize is kind of similar to the mood of Manhattan Beach -- it's a simple place that only recently has gotten trendy bars and restaurants. Most of it is pretty 'laid back' so if you're looking for something 'a little nicer', I would stay somewhere else more central to Los Angeles and just drive to the beach.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

In the $150-$200 price range, consider these options:

a. On the edge of Santa Monica (about a 6 minute drive from downtown and the beach) -- a solid, 3-star hotel:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33052-d81245-R…

b. Steps from the Venice Pier and a 10 minute walk to Marina del Rey, this highly-rated 2-1/2 star hotel:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32684-d84219-R…

c. The hotel Angeleno (mentioned in your other thread):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d84522-R…

d. The Hollywood Roosevelt:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77274-R…

e. The L.A. Hotel Downtown (<- that's its name):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d113221-…

f. The Elan Hotel -- beyond your price range but in a very central neighborhood (also, highly rated):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223041-…

g. The Sofitel (4-1/2 stars): tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d76083-R…

h. Good solid value on the Sunset Strip:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33252-d81649-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

Agree - with Sea View, its "localtion, location, location" but that's really what it has going for it. If its more important to you to have a nice hotel rather than be close to the beach, I would not look in Manhattan Beach at all. At worst, you might try one of the LAX hotels - not often suggested here except before / after a flight as the area itself is dull, but you can get nice 4-star'ish hotels there for little money and its actually closer to most of the tourist attractions by a little bit than Manhattan Beach would be. Otherwise, to get a hotel of the quality of the Marriott closer to the center of the city, probably budget will need to increase or you'd need to use a site like hotwire or priceline's bidding section where you do not know the exact hotel until you are locked in to paying for it but the prices are lower.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan Beach Marriott?

"it's just that they don't put a big emphasis on modernizing "

Actually, they have been remodeling and upgrading all rooms this year at the Sea View Inn. My brother is staying there again, is 3 day weekend, and the weather will be great for use of the free bikes, beautiful sunsets and close to shops and restaurants on the north end. We like the Luxury Room or Penthouse of their categories. I would not suggest the Standard room in the original hotel as it's basic. There are 5 buildings in all. The Free parking is a bonus at the beach.

I don't like to suggest the Belamar over the Marriott. It's located on one of the most busy corners of town, and you can't get rid of the sound of cars going by all day, as the rooms faces busy Rosecrans and Sepulveda Blvd. They do have a good bar and restaurant though.

If you can get a room at the Marriott facing the lake and golf course, it would be very nice to sit out on your balcony with a cup of coffee or glass of wine. Perhaps with the sale price, your view will be the parking lot side, but $149 in MB is a good price.

Did you price out the Marriott Residence Inn in MB near MB Blvd, a mile to the pier, starting at $149? I like it the best, as free hot breakfast, evening managers cocktail reception and hot appetizers, with free parking in front of your unit. We just stayed here for 3 nights while having some work done on our home and needed a full kitchen.

They just finished a new pool, gate house, outside fire pit and lounges around the pool. It's a mile away from the beach, but the units sit back off the street among tall pine trees, very quiet. Look at the photos.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Those of us who live here, work or visit all areas of LA. Knowing the commute time you just adjust your drives, it is not inconvenient at all, and coming back to the beach town is very relaxing. You'll love wandering around downtown and taking a walk on the Pier.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach