We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach like environment

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beach like environment

Of these 3 hotels, The Belamar, Residence Inn or Hawthorne Suites, which neighborhood/hotel feels like your closest to the beach? I've gone on mapquest and I know the Residence Inn and Hawthorne Suites are closest to the beach, but you cant really get a vibe of how an area feels off mapquest...And which would you suggest is the better hotel?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach like environment

None of those hotels are all that close to the beach. Have you looked at Sea View Inn? It is only a block to the beach. Otherwise of those 3 I would pick the Belamar as it is across the street from Manhattan Village Mall, a small mall with shops restaurants and a movie theater.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach like environment

I am looking at the Seaview Inn. I love that its so close to the beach but I am worried about the interior. It looks shabby from some of the pics I've seen.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,646 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach like environment

That's the problem with MB. To be by the water, you either have to go with Sea View or pay $$$ at The Shades.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach like environment

Geez, the rooms look OK to me and their website says they are remodeling the rooms. If it is a soft remodel such as new carpeting, paint, mattresses and linens, any construction work should be minimal noise.

Being close to the beach means a lot of wear and tear, it is the same in Hawaii for example.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach like environment

I've stayed or been inside all three hotels. For your requirement of best furnishings I'd go with RI. Residence Inn by Marriott is my favorite to suggest to travelers, especially if you have a car. We stayed there 3 nights this year when we had some work done on our home. It's been recently remodeled, new club house and pool area. They serve a great hot breakfast for free, have fire pits to sit around at night, a manager's cocktail reception some evenings, that has hot food that can work for a meal. The driveway off Sepulveda is lined with big trees and the units go far back into the neighborhood and you can park in front of your room.

Across the street a block down is the Hawthorn Suites, the more budget friendly of your three. It's clean, but no pool or trees, and it sits right on Sepulveda Blvd, though you can ask for a room on the backside. Underground parking. Continental breakfast. Like RI, they are a mile back from the beach, but near MB Blvd. where downtown is located.

Belamar is the farthest back from the beach and downtown pier area. It faces the busiest corner, Sepulveda and Rosecrans, a Fry's, the Mall, and when you sit outside you hear a constant stream of cars going by. They do have a very nice restaurant called Second Story, but they charge for parking.

As for the Seaview Inn, the least expensive rooms at $130 are just motel rooms, no view. My brother gets the Luxury Room category, with sofa and fireplace for $200 a night. They are the nearest to the beach, have free parking, do not offer breakfast, but there is a neighborhood market across the street and lots of restaurants.

July is a busy time in the Beach Cities. I'd suggest booking something soon, you can always cancel if you change your mind. We already have people finding no vacancy on their vacation dates.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach like environment

Thanks everyone.....how is the drive to Santa Monica and Hollywood from Manhattan Beach?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach like environment

You won't get the beach town vibe from any of them in my mind. I would go with the Sea View Inn over any of them if what I wanted was the beach feel.

Forget what the pictures look like, it has an 82% positive rating from travelers on TA which is fairly high.

As to how the drive is, with all drives in LA "when" is your most important factor. Santa Monica is fairly easy at most times, Hollywood would be a pain in the commuter hours.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
201 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach like environment

Peak: Santa Monica - 45 Minutes, Hollywood - 1 hr+

Off Peak: Santa Monica - 25 Minutes, Hollywood - 45 Minutes.

Use an app called WAZE to get best routing based on real-time traffic.

I agree with previous posters, Sea View & Shade is the only accomodation in MB with a "close to the beach" feel. Otherwise you could try The Beach House in Hermosa.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach like environment

To be honest, and to try and answer your original question, none of those three properties is really going to necessarily feel like you are close to the beach, they are generally going to be more "urban LA" in their feel. You really need to be a bit west of Sepulveda Blvd. / Pacific Coast Highway / Highway 1 before you are going to start to get the beach feel. I would echo Sea View Inn as a much better choice in terms of location, but I can neither confirm or refute your concerns about the rooms as I've never stayed there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach like environment

I submitted my reservation to the Seaview Inn BUT I was told that their cancellation policy has to be done one month in advance of arrival or you lose the entire amount of the stay. Most hotels cancellation policy is the day of. I'm afraid that something will come up and I MAY have to cancel. Sooo, I am going to look for another hotel with a better cancellation policy. Now I am thinking of the residence inn in MB or somewhere more centrally located like, downtown. I may have to give up being close to the beach. Thanks for everyones advice...

Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach