We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked hotel today

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Booked hotel today

Ive just made my booking for our holiday in Sept

We have booked to stay at double tree by hilton marina del rey.

Really looking forward to our trip just under 9wks to go

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,980 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked hotel today

Can you change this? You've placed yourself way too far away, you would be much better off at that Best Western Gateway that you were considering. It's easier to get to the places you want to go, and much easier to get to the beach. The hotel you've chosen sits on the freeway, it's really a bad location.

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked hotel today

Yes we can change hotel right up until we travel.

The reason why we have chosen this hotel over best western is because there is plenty of restaurants close by double tree at least walking distance.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,980 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked hotel today

There's a lot more by the Gateway Santa Monica location, especially if you take a 5 minute bus ride into downtown Santa Monica, or walk up to Montana Avenue.

You've placed yourself too far away in the Marina, you're much better off in Santa Monica.

Did you look at the Wilshire Motel? The rates are low and the location is perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Montana Avenue
Montana Avenue
295 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked hotel today

Can we get a bus across to santa monica pier / beach

Regards to Wiltshire its not on our travel operators list of hotels.

If we can get a bus I don't mind stay at marina as hotel looks very nice

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked hotel today

I'm with Elle. The hotel is very close to LAX which isn't close to anything. I'm surprised that you didn't check with us before booking!

In your other thread, you are asking about LAX transfer options for this hotel as well as transfer options to Hollywood from the hotel. It's best to have this info BEFORE booking.

If you're relying upon public transit, you should be acquainted with tools for looking up transfers between any 2 points. (We won't be with you on your holiday to help you with this). Here's the content about the public transit system which includes info about looking up routes:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171690/Los-An…

The routes vary from day to day and between daytime and nighttime. For a transfer to central Hollywood on a weekday morning, departing at 9:00, here is the primary transfer option from the hotel you've chosen:

Starting at 13480 MAXELLA AV

1. Walk to the SE corner of Washington Bl & Lincoln Bl (13 minutes)

2. Ride Culver City Bus #1 [marked 'WLA TRANSIT CTR'] heading east

From: WASHINGTON BLVD/LINCOLN BLVD SE corner (29 minutes)

To: FAIRFAX AV/ELECTRIC DR SE corner

Pay $1.00 + $0.40 for Transfer

3. Transfer to Metro Rapid Line Bus #780 [marked 'PASADENA CITY COLLEGE'] heading north From: FAIRFAX AV/ELECTRIC DR SE corner (33 minutes)

To: HOLLYWOOD BLVD/HIGHLAND AV SE corner

Use Transfer ticket

Ending at HOLLYWOOD/HIGHLAND AV

Total cash fare = $1.40

Trip time is about 1 hour and 27 minutes + 13 minutes' walking time = 1 hour 40 minutes EACH WAY.

If your hotel was in downtown L.A., the transfer would take 15 minutes.

If your hotel was in Hollywood, the transfer would take a few minutes (on foot)

If your hotel was the Royal Palace Westwood in the Westwood neighborhood (which was one of my recs), your transfer into Hollywood would take 35 minutes (via a single bus) + 10 minutes of walking up Highland Av to central Hollywood. Airport transfer to this hotel would be via an express bus called the WESTWOOD FLYAWAY bus. Transfer from Union Station would be relatively easy (as I explained in the other thread).

(I can't imagine how you'd get to Marina del Rey from Union Station unless you took the flyaway bus to LAX and then transferred from there (ugh -- you'll be riding around LAX, stopping at 8 terminals on the way)).

Transfers to Santa Monica Beach, from the Royal Palace Westwood hotel, are available via 6 or more bus lines (running every few minutes) and the transfer takes 20 to 25 minutes.

I don't know why you're using that travel operator. He/She does not have all hotels available and has allowed you to book a hotel in Marina del Rey in a very inconvenient location. I pray that you are not paying this person a commission!!

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Culver City
Culver City
California
Union Station
Union Station
1,529 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica State Beach
Santa Monica State Beach
6,065 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked hotel today

Ok thanks for your reply here.

I will call travel op tomorrow to change to best western in santa monica.

We only want to spend 1/2 day in LA chinese theatre as we didnt do this last time

We want to be close to santa monica as possible without paying silly money.

So it sounds like Best Western

I might also book a car for the 3 days as your advise sounds like I might need it and its free parking at best western and car hire is pretty cheap.

Thanks again

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,980 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked hotel today

Yes, hire a car, it will make everything so much easier. Glad you are moving the hotel from the Marina. Between all your options, the Gateway is the best one, although it would be best if you did not work with a travel agent and shopped on your own.

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked hotel today

I agree this will be the last holiday booking with them

They have been very good with us but can definitely get cheaper option on hotels.

Youve been a great help on this.

So tomorrow I will book best western gateway with 3 days car hire

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,958 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked hotel today

<<<Regards to Wiltshire its not on our travel operators list of hotels.<<<

Yes, please get rid of the "travel operator". We have very sad stories of people who depended upon an overseas travel agent who put them in impossible locations. I am sorry it is not on your "travel operators list of hotels". Too bad. That is not a reason not to book at the Wiltshire, or wherever, if it is better than your "travel operators list".

Since the travel agents had their commissions cut, many years ago, as I remember, when the airlines stopped paying commissions, the profession has filled up with people who are not professional enough to do their homework, but just use "lists of hotels", which are the ones which pay them the best commission. Few of the travel agents outside of this country know anything about the US, the geography, the distances between places, the difference in routing depending upon the seasons.. as in which roads are closed in winter, the climate...I could go on and on, but I won't. You get the picture.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked hotel today

Yes, hire the car -- even if you don't use it all the time, it's very inexpensive compared to the rest of the trip. Given your itinerary, the Gateway is a decent choice. I would have still preferred the Royal Palace since the neighborhood is a little bit more welcoming to pedestrians -- day and night -- but if you truly plan to be as close to SM as possible without overspending, the Gateway is the obvious choice.

Get answers to your questions about Marina del Rey