We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
740 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Hello! Seven years ago I did a week long solo road trip up the California coast from San Francisco to close to the Oregon border. Shortly afterward, I posted a web album with photos and captions ... but the link I posted on this forum is no longer valid because I used Picasaweb and a year ago, Google made that format obsolete. The album is still available via the link provided below. Click on each photo for the caption and if you can't read the entire paragraph, click on the small "i" in the upper right and the whole caption will show up to the right. I give specific advice about several hikes and scenic areas, including the magnificent towering coastal redwoods up and down the North Coast.

Someone doing trip planning just requested that I repost this link ... and with the bridge being out on Highway 1 just south of Monterey, making the very scenic Big Sur drive out of service for an extended time, I assume more people will now be considering the coastal drive north of San Francisco up toward Mendocino and beyond. I think this drive is every bit as scenic as the one further south - I found it breathtaking in many areas!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/10033993…

Shoot me any questions if you have them ... and I'll do my best to answer them.

Mike

28 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,159 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Hello MJ. Thanks again for posting this again. It is 2017 Time to come back here

Edited: 01 March 2017, 22:29
New England
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

OMG Beautiful. I wish I had your talent with a camera. Thanks for sharing.

Heading that way in May.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
740 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Hey there, Belomiser ... Oh, I would SO love to go back! It will indeed be interesting to see if the CA North Shore sees somewhat of an uptick in tourism with the Big Sur drive out of whack for 6+ months while they rebuild that bridge. What do you think? Could it positively impact the North Shore tourism economy even a little bit?

NewEnglander .... thanks! Have a great time .... gorgeous part of the country!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,159 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

I hope so but many people want do the SF LA or vice versa route and hence may try and stay south of SF leaving the North Coast to locals

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
740 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Yeah, that may very well be, I suppose, but that would be a pity because it's just as gorgeous north of SF as south along the Big Sur ... and in some ways, more accessible.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,408 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Let us just keep it for those of us who appreciate it. I don't want traffic on that stretch between Jenner and Timber Cove, thank-you-very-much.

mj....thank you very much for re-posting so that we still have access to those beautiful photographs. (I don't see any of Timber Cove. It was one of Ansel Adam's favorite haunts. Richard Clement's "Glass House", way out on the point, is presently for sale at $3.9 mil.)

…pressdemocrat.com/17256/…

Come back soon.

New England
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

DEs do you think this link should be included in the Trip Reports section?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Hi Mike,

I am very very interested in your itinerary please! Although i am not from the US, and it will be my first time so i may ask some very silly questions! apologies in advance. the photos are amazing!!!

we were planning on doing the SF --> LA drive and then to Vegas later but with Big Sur now out of action, i would love to know what your trip was like?

thank you

sam

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,159 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

>DEs do you think this link should be included in the Trip Reports section?<<

There are no Trip reports on this forum

The articles in the Top Questions cannot be edited thanks to TA

So it is added as a sub top question to the Ca forum as an option for the closed Big Sur

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
740 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)

Sam ... My itinerary: one night in San Francisco after flying in that evening, one night in Bodega Bay, two nights in Fort Brag, three nights in Trinidad, and then after driving back south toward SF, one night in Sonoma before flying back home to Chicago from SF. More detail than that - of what state parks I visited and what hikes I did - can be found buried within the photo captions. It was a marvelous trip to see the California North Coast. If you have more detailed questions, fire away ... happy to help.

Thanks, Belomiser, for including a link to this thread in the CA forum. I can imagine a fair number of tourists are quite disappointed about The Big Sur drive being closed. What a pity.

Reply to: California North Coast photo trip report (repost)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted