We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildfires? Traveling this week.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Wildfires? Traveling this week.

My mom and I have a trip to Mendocino planned, flying into Santa Rosa airport Wednesday, driving up Thursday, and spending a long weekend in and around Mendocino.

I just saw news reports that wildfires. If you ravaging "wine country." I'm not familiar with the area (We were planning to wander a lot this weekend) and I'm not sure what this means for our trip. The news reports I'm able to find a real very general, and I can't find any updates on our hotel website or the Santa Rosa airport website.

Can anyone tell me what we should expect? Should we make alternate plans? I'm not trying to ask someone else to do the research for me, but I spent the last hour googling I can't find any hard data. The and we're staying at hasn't responded to my email yet either.

Thanks in advance for any context/information you can provide. I really appreciate it.

13 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

There are fires in eastern Mendocino County but none on the coast. There may be some smoke though. Today, all flights were cancelled coming into Santa Rosa airport. What happens Wednesday depends on whether the fire still threatens.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,949 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

Here is a map of the current fires. If you click on the link to open a bigger map, it will show you a Google map. Right now the freeway 101 near the airport is closed. May be better this weekend and you can access the coast via Guerneville etc.

http://www.calfire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

But it is a changing situation and it just started and 0% contained.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

I'm interested in updates to this thread as well as we are flying in to San Francisco Saturday and planned to drive up to Mendocino Sunday, then on to Eureka and into Oregon via the coast.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

Fires are still raging north of San Francisco, and traffic is bad because of so many people needing to evacuate.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

Thank you for the updates- they were really valuable. My mom and I spent several hours on the phone to the travel agencies and were able to change our flights to in-and-out of SFO and are spending the long weekend here instead of driving north. Even our flights to SFO were crazy delayed but we are here.

Thank you again for your time and resources!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

thanks for the update!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,216 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

when you say here what do you mean ? Are you spending the time in SF instead of Mendocino?

California
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

We have two properties - one in Forestville, Sonoma County and one near Fort Bragg, Mendocino County. I strongly discourage visits to Sonoma/Napa counties and if heading to Mendocino, it will be very important to check road closures along Highway 101. Perhaps the long slow coastal route of Highway 1 is an option. Air quality, at the moment, is good at the coast in Mendocino but extremely unhealthy in Sonoma county. These huge fires are not contained and high wind advisories for Friday-Sunday are posted. sonomamap.maps.arcgis.com

There are also fires in Oregon....travelers should do their research....

Edited: 13 October 2017, 16:53
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

Thanks so much. We were taking the coastal road anyway, but were unsure about Mendocino as a stopping point. I will probably call our hotel today and see what they're saying. We were not doing Napa/Sonoma on this trip.I know fires are unpredictable and the winds are not going to help. We are checking daily to see the status of things. We are headed to my daughter's in Tacoma and wanted to drive up the Oregon Coast, but we'll see if changes need to be made. I hope your family and homes are safe. It's all very sad to hear of loss of life and see the beautiful countryside devastated. Take care.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildfires? Traveling this week.

@belomiser that's correct- we are spending the time in San Francisco. We were already here when I made that post, hence the confusing use of "here". Thanks!

Reply to: Wildfires? Traveling this week.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted