We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendocino in January?

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Mendocino in January?

My husband and I are looking to get away for a couple of days. We will be leaving the kids in Sacramento. No pets. We like to be outdoors, but would also appreciate some romantic time (think nice dinner, fireplace, etc).

We are from Chicago, so I don't think the weather will be terribly cold for us. Is it windy? damp? What are the general temps the first week of January?

We are specifically looking for places Jan 2-4.

I'd like somewhere with a nice, hot breakfast. Not an impersonal hotel, but somewhere more than just one or two rooms in a house.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendocino in January?

If you are going to spend two or three days you might think about renting a two-bedroom house at Sea Ranch. This is across the Gualala River from the town of Gualala, on the border of Sonoma and Mendocino Counties. You can get oceanfront, oceanview, oceanmeadow, hillside, or forest properties.

Most of them have a fireplace and hot tub. There are many trails around the property, both on the bluffs and in the forests.

While they all have kitchens, of course, there are good restaurants in Gualala. For a romantic dinner we like St. Orres, which is just north of town.

We usually rent from this agency, but there are several you can find by googling...

<<http://www.searanchrentals.com/>>

These are unique.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendocino in January?

Oh, weather....

Well winter is rainy season in California. It won't be as cold as Chicago, of course, and it could be raining. But, we never know. We live on the coast and my husband has been known to be able to play tennis without a shirt on New Year's Day.

Anyway, with a view and a fireplace, Sea Ranch would be very romantic in the rain ;~)

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendocino in January?

There are many great places to stay and January is a beautiful time of year. Either it is sunny and beautiful or there is a storm. Either way, it is a great way to experience the Coast.

You could do a vacation rental, but if you want to be spoiled a bit, there are many places from Gualala to Fort Bragg you could stay. A few to check out are:

Elk Cove Inn in Elk

Coast Guard House in Pt. Arena

North Coast Country Inn in Gualala

Auberge Mendocino in Little River

Fensalden Inn in Albion

Stanford Inn in Mendocino (a bit larger than a B&B)

Alegria Inn or Joshua Grindle in Mendocino

Atrium in Fort Bragg

All of these have a scrumptuous breakfast and are bigger than just a couple of rooms. There are not too many impersonal hotels in this area, so you really can't go wrong.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendocino in January?

Well, we're now looking at Joshua Grindle Inn or perhaps Brewery Gulch? any suggestion?

Will the Inn proprietors be able to suggest hiking trails? what about whale watching? and a massage would be great...

and perhaps a hot tub?

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mendocino in January?

Hello. Both places are great! Brewery Gulch is about 2/3 mile south of the village of Mendocino while Joshua Grindle is right in the village. Brewery Gulch is more of an inn, while Joshua Grindle is a classic Bed & Breakfast. It is all personal preference...

Hope this helps.

The Bay Area...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mendocino in January?

Hi there. My fiance and I just stayed at The Fensalden Inn, and it was lovely. The owner know the area very well, and can tell you anything you may want or need to know. They, and their Inn, are simply charming, and the breakfasts are quite good. Have fun...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mendocino in January?

We are looking into Elk Cove Inn for February... It seems to be a lovely hidden place with dramatic views on the ocean... Does it really can offer what they promise on their web site? Mostly we are looking for a romantic escape (elopement) with few people around yet we want a cozy and fireplace equipped room..

Thank you

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mendocino in January?

Yeseniya--I think that Elk Cove Inn will be ideal for you! Stay mid-wk to further enhance your privacy. The Inn is located less than half an hr. from Mendocino village so you'll also be able to visit there if you desire to be "out and about" for a portion of your time.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mendocino in January?

A fine choice with the Elk Cove Inn. I managed the Inn for about a year and a half and Elaine, the owner, will take very good care of you. The suites are very nice, but they have a gas fireplace. The cottages have woodburning stoves if that is your fancy. They have a nice spa and a great beach to walk to. It is secluded and very romantic.

Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mendocino in January?

Thank you much for your responses... I appreciate a lot! I guess we will go with Elk Cove inn )) It does seem to perfectly suit us.

P.S. I will deffinetely make a post about our impressions after we visit the place (sure to have great ones)