We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendocino or Eureka

Level Contributor
22 posts
Mendocino or Eureka

Us 55 year old ladies will be leaving from S.F. to either Mendocino or Eureka or wherever for a few days (June 2008). Will be heading to Oregon after that. We would like to be close to a beach, nice 2 beds hotel/inn and taking tours. No hiking :-) This is a leisure vacation so time is no factor. Just wanted to have fun and travel. Any suggestions would help...we never been in the northern part of CA. Thank you :-)

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Mendocino or Eureka

Hello -

Well, there is really no reason you cannot do both. Although Mendocino is out of the way on the Coast, it is a beautiful drive through wine country, the redwoods and out to the Coast. From Mendocino, the drive to Eureka is beautiful as well - up along the Coast and then inland again through the Redwoods.

Of course, if you had to choose, I would go with Mendocino - more wine, more coastline than Eureka and a much smaller town.

There are plenty of places to stay in and around Mendocino and I would check out www.gomendo.com for information about them. I would check out the Stanford Inn, MacCallum House, Little River Inn, as these a bit larger. For smaller B&B's, the Whitegate Inn, Packard House, Alegria Inn, Joshua Grindle, and others.

If you do go to Eureka, I highly recommend the Carter House. I would also recommend checking out www.uniqueinns.com for hotels in Oregon and beyond.

Sounds like you'll have a great trip. Have fun!!

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Mendocino or Eureka

If going to Mendo you might check out the Pine Beach Inn, half way between Mendocino and Fort Bragg on Hwy 1. Located on 12 acres with a private beach, it's peaceful and serene, but close to both towns. . . . It's adjacent to Jughandle State Park (over looking the ocean) with easy, flat trails leading to and from the property. It's not the Ritz or the Fairmont, but it does fine for a great North Coast stay. . . . I've been staying there for years and have yet to be disappointed. . . .

www.pinebeachinn.com

If you go to Mapquest you can can get an aerial view by clicking on "aerial" after typing in "Pine Beach Inn" and "Fort Bragg" and "CA." To get a closer view, click on the third magnification button from the top (on the screen), then you can pan to the left for your ocean view. . . .

Wherever you stay have fun!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: Mendocino or Eureka

Hi f3redblue ~ If time is not an issue, by all means do both! Northern California is a lovely part of the state, and June weather should be fine.

I would suggest you start a thread in the Oregon forum, as we *love* to assist visitors to our most gorgeous state :-)) Will be looking forward to talking to you!

4. Re: Mendocino or Eureka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 03:16