We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose
9 posts
Save Topic
Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Hi everyone,

My husband's birthday is on July 4 and I would like him on a relaxed vacation away from his work-infested laptop-infused life. We've lived in San Jose for seven years but have never been up to Mendocino/Fort Bragg and from what I've seen and read about these places, it seems like the perfect mini-vacation I have in mind.

I sent out enquiries to various B&B's and checked various hotels as well and the only two that will accommodate us for two nights (instead of three) are the Mendocino Farmhouse Inn and the Atrium in Fort Bragg. Both seem to have great reviews and essentially the same prices but I don't know anything about the area to make that decision. We basically like to sleep tight (that's why the idea of a fog horn in Bodega Bay bothers me) and would prefer avoiding anything that has railway tracks nearby, traffic or creaky floors. I need to say yes to one of them by the end of the day today, else the one room they have will also be grabbed.

Many thanks for your insights, in advance.

Looking forward to your expert advice,

MBT.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,957 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Have you looked at the websites to give you a better idea of what they offer? Here is Atrium

http://www.atriumbnb.com/

And here is the Farmhouse Inn

http://www.mendocinofarmhouse.com/

They both look good. Good luck. I hope this is in time.

San Jose
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Thanks, Puter. I did look at the Web sites after reading the reviews and only then sent out the queries to the two B&B's. I guess I'll have to see where I can get dinner reservations and base the lodging decision on that...I'm not sure how winding the road is between Mendocino and Fort Bragg and how foggy it gets...so would want to be closer to the place where we can get some dinner options.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,957 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Fort Bragg is only about 10 miles from Mendocino and it is not very winding, so I wouldn't worry. Also, you may not have fog at all.

Good luck on the dinner reservations. In Fort Bragg, AAA recommends Mendo Bistro, North Coast Brewing Tap Room and Grill, The Restaurant, and Silver's at the Wharf.

In Mendocino they like Cafe Beaujolais McCallum House, Mendocino Hotel, and The Ravens.

We stayed at McCallum House one weekend and had a very nice dinner there, bit since it is a busy weekend they may be filled up.

Anyway, enjoy your weekend.

San Jose
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Thanks, again, Puter. Appreciate that input. I'll make reservations well in advance. I was just looking at menus of the various restaurants when your message appeared. I think I'll settle on the Ravens, since it's a vegetarian restaurant taking away the need to scrounge through a menu for things we can eat :-)

I'm feeling more inclined toward the Atrium since their rooms seem bigger, but the seclusion of the Farmhouse is also enticing...gosh, I really do need to make a decision, don't I?

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

I don't know if you have decided yet, but they are both nice places. The Atrium is right on Main St. in Fort Bragg and may be a bit noisier, but it is a great location and they have rooms that do not front the road. There are plenty of places to eat. Some have been mentioned. Others include V'Canto in Fort Bragg - a new Italian place also Nit's Cafe. In Mendocino, there is 955 Ukiah - my personal favorite.

For more ideas, check out www.gomendo.com.

San Jose
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Thanks, Discover. I did choose the Atrium since it's in a quiet area and yet not isolated. Appreciate your guiding me to gomendo.com, too.

We're leaving San Jose on the evening of July 3rd, spending the night at Mutton Manor in Tomales and then will proceed to Mendocino...hopefully we'll be able to catch some of the parade that afternoon.

On another note, I need some recommendations on a spa in the area. I've been looking for spa reviews in the area but haven't found any authoritatively good ones so far. Perhaps, I should pose that as a separate question on the forum.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Bamboo Garden Spa in Fort Bragg is your best bet. If you check it out and don't like it, let me know and I will recommend another.

San Jose
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

Thanks, Discover. It seems like this spa is in a mall...I haven't been able to find any good reviews on the services there (people seem to say the skill of the masseuses varies...). We're driving from Petaluma area on the 4th, and will be taking highway 1 Bodega Bay onwards, so if there's any good spa on our way to Fort Bragg, we could make a stop there. I also don't mind driving a little beyond Fort Bragg, if needed. I am looking for something relaxing and a little more special than a place we could go to in the San Jose area (something a little exclusive, perhaps). Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, much.

MBT.

9. Re: Atrium, Fort Bragg or Mendocino Farmhouse Inn for July 4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 03:21