We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendocino in August w/ kids

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Mendocino in August w/ kids

Well, this forum seems so eager to help.. there we go: this August we'll be driving up the coast SF to OR, and our first stop will be Mendocino. The party will need a room for 4 (2 adults, 2 children age 7 and 9) and a room for 2. We'll reach Mendocino on the 7th which is a Saturday and we'd like to stay for 2 nights in an Inn/Bnb or similar. Maybe an Inn, as accomodating 6 may be difficult.

We'd love a place with a nice ocean view, as our plan includes walking thru town, strolling on the beach, and maybe at night we'll sit on the porch of the hotel playing cards. I guess we just want to feel the local atmosphere that you were describing in the other posts. We have a car so mobility is not an issue - it may not be too easy to get a room on the weekend so we want to start early in our search. We have a budget of about 200-250 per room per night (if the Euro stays 1,30 against the dollar!!!).

Any help would be appreciated, I already saved many suggestions that I've read on this forum recently. Also, would you recommend something that the kids may like (we're all young at heart actually)? Also, will we find any shops open on Sunday?

Many thanks

Paola/Italy

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendocino in August w/ kids

We would love to welcome you hear! If your desire is to stay right in Mendocino Village - try the MacCallum House Suites or Mendocino Hotel as they can accommodate all of your room needs. If you want a family friendly experience and don't mind being outside of town, check out the Stanford Inn. If you want to go to Fort Bragg (about 9 miles north), there are many options with views, on the beach etc. Check out www.gomendo.com for all the listings. Little River Inn 2 miles south of Mendocino is also a good place for a party of your size. A vacation rental might be a good way to go as well. So many options. check out Dragon Mist Estate.

I hope this helps.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendocino in August w/ kids

Thanks so much for the reply. You'll definitely have us there!!

There are many interesting options in the site you've shown me, we'll soon decide where to book, this is one of the places in our trip that we would not miss.

I'll keep an eye on this forum, I have never been disappointed by the opinion of locals..

Thanks again, looking forward to this vacation!!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendocino in August w/ kids

Your budget of $200-$250 is low for ocean view rooms esp. on a summer weekend, but you should still be able to find nice accommodations (all good recommendations by DiscoverMendo) if you can give up the view. I'd also suggest booking as early as you can. We hope that the economy will improve enough to allow more travelers to the area--but that would mean higher rates without the "specials offers"!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendocino in August w/ kids

I did book the Stanford Inn eventually, it looks sooo nice and I was impressed by how nice and fast they replied to me. I can't wait to be there!

5. Re: Mendocino in August w/ kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2009, 05:53