We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendocino in August: How many days?

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa
4 posts
Save Topic
Mendocino in August: How many days?

I am taking my mom on a little trip to Northern Cali this August, (I am late 20's and she is mid 50's). We are flying in and out of SFO. I am trying to decide how many days to spend in SFO and how many to spend in Mendocino. How many days is sufficient? I hear there are botanical gardens, spas, and horsebackriding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am about to purchase all my lodging and would like to make good decisions.

Thanks!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

How many days do you and your mom have for this vacation--and that's a serious question! If you have never visited either San Francisco (SFO refers to the airport only) or Mendocino, you could literally stay for several wks and never run out of interesting things to do and see. If you want an overview of the area combined with some time to just relax, I would recommend a minimum of 3 full days devoted to San Francisco, plus 2 full days along the Mendocino Coast, plus factor in travel days and it would add up being at least 8 days--10 days would be much better. Driving time from San Francisco to Mendocino is bet. 3 to 4+ hrs depending upon whether you take an inland route (#101/#128) or take the coast hwy. (#1) for most of the way. Even the inland routes, once you're past Santa Rosa going north, will offer some very pretty scenery, esp. going thru the Anderson Valley via Hwy. #128.

Tulsa
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

Thank you very much. We will be in California from late Friday night to Thurs morning. We are flying in and out of San Francisco. We have both been to SFO, but it was for maybe a day or so and we didn't see much. Thanks again for your advice and help.

Tulsa
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

Sorry, I was just using some sort of abbreviation for San Francisco..Oops

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

Six Nights:

If you have not been to San Francisco before, I would split the 6 nights 4 and 2.

Arrive in San Francisco - spend 1 night

Drive to Mendocino - enjoy the area for 2 night.

(Note: also look at Avenue of the Giants to see if you want to see that area - if yes, make it 3 nights and 3rd night stay in Garberville - Benbow Inn or Bes Western)

http://www.avenueofthegiants.net/

Then return to San Francisco - for 3 nights.

You might want to drop off the rental car to save on parking costs in San Francisco and use public transporation.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

I agree completely with the 4/2 split between San Francisco and Mendocino. Too bad you have such a short time to spend--but it'll still be very enjoyable. You could consider having the one night in San Francisco either at the beginning or end of your trip, but I tend to agree with Mini: take it at the beginning so you'll have more days in San Francisco at the end of your vacation before having to make the trip back home. It's a long drive from Mendocino the City and if you had to fly back the very next day, it wouldn't be as pleasant.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

Definitely spend at least one night in San Fran before coming to Mendocino. You may want to consider 3 days in Mendocino as people who come for two wish they had just one more. But, as time is short, 2 days may have to suffice. It depends on what you want to do. If you want more urban, do the 4/2 split. If you want to experience more rural and get away from the crowds - do a 3/3 split.

Either way - you will have a great time!

Mendocino...
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

I agree with Forrestville and Fort Bragg, 2-3 full days in the Mendocino area. As an innkeeper, I can't tell you how many times I have had people staying for two nights tell me they wish they had allowed at least one more full day.

Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

I don't think many will agree (from reading the posts), but we are going up on August 10th, returning home on August 16th.

It's a no brainer for us, truly.

I think if you are retired or otherwise not working full-time, then fine....everyday is a SATURDAY! However, for us, both working full time, a 2 night or 3 night get away just doesn't cut it. It takes a good day, day and a half, to get out of the workmode and into vacation mode (even if you don't think it does or believe you are "DIFFERENT" than everyone else). So we have found to really enjoy our time and take in the beautiful surroundings, and to feel like we acutally got away, we do five nights. Always have...always will.

It is the perfect amount of time, for us. It is one of the few places we can go in the summer months and not feel like we just walked into Disneyland (kids) and where the weather is so great that I can take a nice run in the a.m., even around 9:00 a.m.!!! I'm back before my husband even gets out of bed!

We are very active, but just don't need to pound the pavement every moment of the day.

This year, we've selected Glendeven as our home away from home. We do try to stay some place different every year.

A must for us is microwave/refrigerator and tv, and also, a plus is wi-fi for my laptop.

We do not eat out at every meal because it reduces the experience of it if you did every single day, but we always choose a very special place for my birthday dinner.

We always go to Harvest Market in Fort Bragg, as a given. What a really cool place to shop. We always go to Elk and go to the Greenwood Pier Country Store and I buy an outfit, candles and/or something special. Mendocino is a must....love, love, love to walk that town a couple times during our stay and visit the really cool shops....buy some earrings, some other stuff (even though we are not big shoppers, per se).

We never want to leave. For us, five nights is PERFECT!!! We get back ready to face the work-world again, refreshed and ready to go.

Love that place....

Dawn

9. Re: Mendocino in August: How many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 05:17