We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to hear ocean, among other things..

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Want to hear ocean, among other things..

Looking for the following:

- A BnB is preferred

-Fireplace

-Soaking tub or jacuzzi

-preferable 4 star or higher

-and actually want to be able to hear the ocean when going to sleep. I know some places are on the otherside of the freeway with traffic running in between. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Two I've looked at is Brewery Gulch (which seems a little removed from the ocean??) and little river inn (seems kind of out-dated?) This is for a birthday gift.. would love input!

Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

Hmmm. Well, this is just a thought.

Had you given any thought to renting a small house on the water in Sea Ranch, which is just 19 miles south of Mendocino?

Most of the houses have hot tubs and fireplaces and the cliff side rentals would give you your ocean sound.

We love it there.

There is a wonderful bakery on the ridge called Two Fish Bakery, which has extraordinary pastries and etc. for your breakfast. There is a restaurant at the Sea Ranch Lodge and several in the town of Gualala, just a couple of miles north, or you could hunker down and do your own dinner with fresh fish, etc. from the markets there.

Gualala has excellent art galleries and an even better Art Center where local artists display their wares and give classes, etc.

http://www.searanchgetaway.com/

http://www.ramshead-realty.com/

Take a look and see what you think.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
43 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

You might try Agate Cove Inn. It's right by Mendocino Headlands State Park, and from I can see from the Web site, has the best ocean views of any B&B in town. We have reservations to stay there ourselves in May.

By the way, I did a quick Google map of the distance between Sea Ranch and Mendocino, because the 19-mile distance estimate between the two seemed too short to me. According to the map, it's actually about 50 miles, or at least an hour on twisty Highway 1 to Mendocino. Sea Ranch is beautiful, but it's kind of isolated.

Another place to try is Mendocino Vacation Rentals. We've rented homes from them several times and had great luck in terms of views and sounds.

mendocinovacations.com/house_list-ocean.php

Good luck!

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

Hello -

There are several places that meet your criteria in Mendocino. Sea Ranch is about 1.5 hours from Mendocino and is beautiful, but is more isolated. Gualala, the closest town is several miles away.

In Mendocino, try:

Alegria Inn

MacCallum House

Sea Rock Inn

Agate Cove Inn

Headlands Inn

These all have rooms with views and you can hear the ocean (if the surf is active). For a complete list, check out www.VisitMendocino.com

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

You are right, my mileage from Mendocino to Gualala is wrong. However, Gualala is not 'several miles' from Sea Ranch. It is right across the Gualala River from it. Sea Ranch does cover several miles of coast, however.

Colorado
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

We've stayed at both Agate Cove and Sea Rock Inn - would recommend either highly. Note they are right next to each other, and rooms are pretty much the same distance from the cliffs/ocean. I think you may be able to hear the ocean, but it isn't like staying right on the beach just so you know.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
43 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

Hey DaveColorado,

Just curious which cottage/room you stayed in at Agate Cove. We will be there in May and have the Amber Cottage.

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

We just returned from a five night getaway to Mendocino. Given your desire to hear the ocean, I'd recommend you check out http://www.mendocinopreferred.com/. They have several options that are oceanfront. We rented the "Whale Song" house and were very pleased. We really enjoyed hearing the ocean sounds crashing throughout the night. While the house is not fancy, it's very clean, conveniently located and quite spacious. And the oceanfront view is AMAZING - - especially from the hot tub perched on the bluff. It also comes complete with a view of the Cabrillo Lighthouse across the cove that the house sits on. While it doesn't have some of the B&B amenities you might be seeking, the fresh flowers, chocolate and brandy awaiting our arrival were a nice touch. We can't wait to go back!

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

We have stayed at Little River Inn, but we stayed at their oceanside property called Mallory House. The house has 3 rooms, 2 down and 1 up. The rooms are beautiful (I have pics in a review I did recently). We had the upstairs suite with a private deck, hot tub, jacuzzi bath tub, separate shower for 2, wood burning fireplace, amazing ocean views. We slept with the glass doors on the deck open and listened to the waves all night and woke up to a gorgeous ocean view.

We are actually going back in May for a week and staying at Mallory House again in the Electra suite. If you are on the Little River Inn website look at the rooms in the oceanside luxury category.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

We have stayed at Little River Inn, but we stayed at their oceanside property called Mallory House. The house has 3 rooms, 2 down and 1 up. The rooms are beautiful (I have pics in a review I did recently). We had the upstairs suite with a private deck, hot tub, jacuzzi bath tub, separate shower for 2, wood burning fireplace, amazing ocean views. We slept with the glass doors on the deck open and listened to the waves all night and woke up to a gorgeous ocean view.

We are actually going back in May for a week and staying at Mallory House again in the Electra suite. If you are on the Little River Inn website look at the rooms in the oceanside luxury category.

10. Re: Want to hear ocean, among other things..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:15