We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

Louisville, Colorado
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

We are planning a trip September 9th - 16th, staying at the GEVC Lighthouse in Point Arena, and we could not be MORE excited! It has always been a dream to visit this part of the country; it looks and sounds so beautiful. :)

We love to hike and explore state parks/natural areas and visiting the california state park website I was completely overwhelmed by how many parks are in the area (and happy -- it is awesome there are so many, but wow, overwhelming! and then I realized that didn't even include natl' forests, beaches, rec areas...:O). I was hoping someone could help me know which ones are not to be missed and which we shouldn't bother with. I would LOVE an experienced opinion on this! We are two 32 year olds traveling without kids.

And then, within those areas, what are the best trails? We would love to see a variety of the different areas - beaches and tide pools to rainforests and redwoods. We're up for driving a few hours to get to the different parks, if you think it's worth a drive.

Also, I've heard that many of the parks are closed due to the state budget cuts. Is there an easy way to know which parks are open and which are closed? and if they are closed, is there no access at all? (I also heard that you can still go in, there just aren't rangers to talk to, etc. but I don't know if that is true).

I've checked out the visitmendocino.com site and it is very helpful. I'd still love to hear someone's recommendations though!

Thank you so much!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

I just noticed your remark about breweries...when in Mendocino try Patterson's Pub for lunch or dinner. Small and always crowded, but good pub food and a wide selection of beers to choose from, including many of the local brews. We tried the Tap Room in Ft. Bragg and it did not compare to this wonderful historic pub right in Mendocino.

http://www.pattersonspub.com/mendo_home.html

Louisville, Colorado
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

DAMcC22 - I can't thank you enough for all your great driving directions. Just so, so helpful to hear from someone who has actually been there - I can only tell so much from a map! I knew what I was signing up for when we decided to vacation here, and figured a little motion sickness was definitely a good "price" for the beautiful scenery we would get in exchange! ;) I really love your suggestions, esp.knowing the best places to stop along the way!

AZFan -- thank you again for your great advice! I've put those 3 wineries on our itinerary now :D I noticed the Navarro does a tour so we're hoping to catch that. My husband loves beer so we're hoping to hit the Anderson Brewing Company as well. I can't wait!

Louisville, Colorado
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

Awesome! we'll definitely check out Patterson's. thanks!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

Have a good trip; you are traveling through the best of Cali, imo.

If you have some good "finds" in/around Pt. Arena, please post. I've not spent any time there & need new turf to explore!

Louisville, Colorado
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

will do!! :) thanks!

16. Re: Best Hikes/ How to know what is open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 00:18