We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

Taking 3 days to drive from Redwood Forest National park, south along Highway 1 to San Francisco...looking for recommendation for memorable places to stay and sites to see..places to stop

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

I would spend two nights in the Mendocino - Fort Bragg area. That way, you have a day's drive through the Humboldt Bay area and the Avenue of the Giants on your way to Hwy 1 along the coast. Then you have a full day to explore Mendocino itself. Finally, your third day would be making the drive south on Hwy 1 to San Francisco.

You could easily stretch this trip to four or five days especially if you wanted to stay in some of the other coastal towns or wanted to spend a day visiting the Anderson Valley wineries or taking the Skunk Train.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

You don't say where you are starting from. I would stay one night near Trinidad & one in Fort Bragg or Mendocino. There is a lot to see in the Redwood National park & a day drive isn't enough time. I lived in Arcata/Eureka & Fort Bragg at one time. They are both beautiful areas. The ocean is more beautiful at Fort Bragg & Mendocino. The forest is more impressive north. Arcata to Crescent City is a cooler foggier environment than Fort Bragg/Mendocino. The redwoods get most their moisture from the sky rather than through their roots. They actually help create the fog. Don't be discouraged by fog, clouds, and coolness. Colors are so much more vibrant in this environment.

What time of year is this trip & what are you interested in doing?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

We are staying in Napa driving up highway 101, staying in Scotai Inn then up to redwood staying at the Historic Requa Inn in Klamath...leaving there on July 15th and need to be in San Fran for the evening of the 17th.

So looking for 2 places to overnight on the way down highway 1.

Thanks.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

Okay, I see. So hwy 1 begins at Legget, as I'm sure you saw. One night in Fort Bragg or Mendocino & one night further south near Bodega Bay or Jenner. Puter, DE for Santa Cruz (she grew up in Sonoma, i believe) often recommends the Timber Cove Inn. http://www.timbercoveinn.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1109451-i15812-k4…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

I agree with travelingrunner. Staying in two places will give you time to wander and make lots of stops along the way :-)

I have been looking at places in Gualala for an upcoming trip but that may not be quite far enough south for a second night. Use mapquest or googlemaps to get an estimate of driving times.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

thanks, timber cove looks great

Tampa, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

We stayed at the Timber Cove Inn October, 2011. I took a look at the website for the Inn (provided above) and the views as shown were indeed spectacular. The firepit out by the water was very nice in the evening. But, I have to say whoever took the photos of the rooms was very creative. Our rooms were very, very dated. There was a huge jacuzzi tub in the bedroom at the end of the bed. A flat screen TV was hanging on the wall above the tub. Bathroom was really dated. It was all very odd and not nice looking or feeling. Our room was not in the main lodge, it was in a wing connected to the main lodge. The common or public areas of the main lodge were very dated. I think in it's day this was quite a nice place but now looks like it's in desparate need of renovation.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

@ janna h - I think you had our room! My ex and I stayed there 15 or 20+

years ago and had a room w/that decription facing the cove. I loved it, and the jacuzzi faced the window amd cpve. I suppose if you have a strong modest streak it wouldn't work for you, but I was comfortable with it (I was in 40's then) and no one could see in unless they were out meandering. The occupancy rate was pretty low at the time of year we were there and the manager toured us through the "bridal suite", which was fantastic and had this huge burl dining table in it, plus a sauna, that if you stretched out on the upper shelf you could see the ocean. That was a very unique apartment. Don't remember if they had the firepit then, or they just didn't light it, but the location, service, etc., was fantastic. It's not particularly someplace I'd love to go spend a weekend at by myself, but I may just get there someday by myself because I really enjoyed it. I do love the rusticness of it, however dated it may be.

I just want clean and I'm quite comfortable.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

After years of mismanagement by its owner the Inn has been taken over by a company.

I do not know their plans for redecoration, but part of the charm, besides its beautiful setting and the isolation, is the rustic nature. It is not for anyone looking for the amenities and the glitz of a five star hotel, however.

I have been there by myself over the years several times because I owned property and needed to attend homeowner association meetings. I love the quiet and the beauty of the area.

Gualala, which is north of there is a pleasant town with ordinary motels, an active arts center, with galleries in the main part of town as well. I also has a great little book store, The Four-Eyed Frog, run by two very well read brothers.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 00:52
10. Re: Driving from Redwood National Park South along Highway 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 05:15