We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding on where to stay

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
125 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding on where to stay

We are working on our 2013 trip. We have been very successful finding fabulous dog friendly properties on all of our cross country road trips. (such as the Four Seasons Biltmore Santa Barbara). Next year we will be driving from Denver to Sedona, Santa Barbara, Carmel and adding on Mendocino for the first time.

I would place a deposit on the Brewery Gulch Inn in a heart beat because it looks like everything we want (fabulous views and a luxurious inn) but it is not pet friendly. I can't seem to find anything else in the same category which allows dogs.

The Cottages at Little River and Inn at Schoolhouse Creek have great reviews but they look somewhat basic. The MacCallum House is way too Victorian for us.

The Little River Inn has great views but I can't get a feel for the rooms. The Stanford Inn is ultra dog friendly but all of that knotty pine and no views is a concern.

The Agate Cove has a great location but the two dog rooms are my least favorite of their cottages.

Anything I missed? I.

Please Help!!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding on where to stay

What don't you like about Stanford Inn? Rooms are a tad small but very nice. They do have views from some of the rooms at least. Great exercise room. probably the most dog friendly place on the coast.

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding on where to stay

You might be interested in some of the dog friendly properties available at mendocinovacations.com/house_list-fido.php

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding on where to stay

Agate Cove is an awesome choice though, we stayed there last summer and loved it. There are plenty of areas on site to walk and play with your dog, big front lawn set above the roadway. I can't imagine any of the cottages there being less than excellent, it really is a very special place, right across the street from the ocean and walking distance to town and the headlands.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding on where to stay

Just got back from the Mendocino area myself, and would suggest you might want to go north a bit to Fort Bragg. We stayed at the Beachcomber Inn a the north end of town and it was a great location for dogs. Not sure how many rooms they allow dogs in, it's not what I would call luxurious, but quite comfortable, and great views - nothing but a paved path and open area between you and the water. Saw several dog guests tthere who were totally enjoying the outdoors areas..

Denver
Level Contributor
125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding on where to stay

Being near the ocean also means being near highway 1. So the Stanford's location looks great because it is set back. I talked to the Inn and have decided this will be a great choice for us. I wasn't aware that dogs can eat inside with owners. That sealed the deal for me! There are many places which tolerate dogs in some rooms, this Inn truly is dog friendly. My husband is so excited about taking the dog out in an outrigger canoe, with the rental next to the Inn.

6. Re: Need help deciding on where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:17