We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

My sister and I are planning a short trip from Walnut Creek to Mendocino (or Jenner or Gualala) in mid September. Most of the places I find to stay overnight are geared for romantic "couples". Any suggestions for a nice place (maybe on the water) that would have 2 beds in the room?

Also, we'll head over to the coast a near Petaluma and then just stay on route 1. Would love some ideas for hiking trails south of Jenner or as far north as Mendocino?

where to eat and shop would be great too!

thanks,

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

There are some short (one mile plus) hiking trails in Bodega Bay, the Bodega Head Trail and the Pinnacle Gulch Coast Coastal Access.

13 miles north of Jenner, around the Timber Cove Inn are some trails with great views. Here is a map

timbercoveinn.com/images/…TCI-hiking-map.pdf

North of that look into trails at Salt Point State Park.

As for lodging. You will find it fairly expensive. Bodega Bay has the Bodega Bay Lodge and the Inn at the Tides, both with views. There are a couple of places in Jenner Less expensive, still with views is the Bodega Coast Inn and Suites. The Bodega Bay Inn is the least expensive.

In Jenner look at Rivers End and Jenner Inn and Cottages.

From there to Fort Ross you won't find lodgings. The aforementioned Timber Cove Inn is wonderful, but expensive. Just south try Fort Ross Lodge.

The next place for lodging will be Gualala, which has several choices. I would google it.

As for eating, north of Jenner, until Gualala, your choice is pretty much the Timber Cove Inn. There used to be a restaurant and motel at Salt Point but the last two times I passed it was closed.

The Fort Ross Lodge has patios with barbecues, but you should bring food with you for that. Only a small convenience store with sandwiches across the street.

It will be a nice trip.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

Too late to edit.. In the paragraph that begins "As for lodging", ignore the sentence "There are a couple of places in Jenner."

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

If you get as far north as Mendocino, we like www.LittleRiverInn.com which is located in Little River, CA, 2 miles south of the village of Mendocino. This property has a variety of rooms and around 45 or 50 rooms,. It also has a full-blown restaurant, a 9-hole golf course, etc. The property has a hiking trail over to Van Damme Beach State Park where you can walk up the Fern Canyon Trail inside the state park. Little River Inn overlooks Highway 1 and the ocean. I believe they also own the land between Highway 1 and the ocean so nothing has been built up to obstruct the ocean views.

Have fun on your trip!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 01:23
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

thanks for all the suggestions ... one more question - is the realistic for just 2 days? or should we try to make it 3? Hiking looks great as do the forests and pygmy forests.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

If you can, I would make it three days. You will use up time getting there and getting back. And then you will have for some good hikes.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 20:21
6. Re: Walnut Creek to Mendocino in 2 days? Where to stay, what to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:23