We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

My husband and I are visiting North California and are thinking of driving from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg and then on to Lakeport, Ca. Can we make the trip in one day? How long will it take? Or are we better off staying somewhere along the coast before heading over to Lakeport? We are very familiar with the Big Sur route on Hwy One and have driven from Morro Bay to San Francisco several times but we usually stay overnight in Monterey.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

What's in Lakeport that deserves your attention? Are you making this trip in the heat of summer?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

The question of why Lakeport occurred to me, as well. I just assumed it was family or friends to visit. Otherwise, not the most compelling place to visit, especially in the heat of the summer.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

Thank you for your help. We now have to decide between Fort Bragg or Mendocino. There's a couple places we're thinking of - Seaside Cottages in Mendo or the Beachcomber in FB? Any suggestions?

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

We're staying at a house on the Lake and may consider retiring there so we wanted to check the area out during the least desired time to see if we can bear it. We'd rather live on the Ocean but the cost is prohibitive.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

Fort Bragg and Mendocino are quite different from each other! Mendocino is a quiet picturesque seaside village, whereas Fort Bragg is about 10 times larger with many more motels, grocery stores, gas stations, hardware stores, shopping etc. It's the commercial center for the whole area.

The Beachcomber is just north of town right on the ocean. I believe you can walk miles along the beach there (I haven't stayed there). I think it's really too far to walk to anywhere in town though, if that is something you like to do.

I looked up the Seaside Cottage in Mendocino and it looks charming :-) Mendocino does not have miles of beach, but they do have gorgeous, dramatic headlands and seascapes. Mendocino is easy to walk around.

You can check the reviews and photos forboth places here on TA.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 20:14
16. Re: Drive from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg then on to Lakeport, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17